boat with no thermostat

bmac417

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1993 Bayliner 195 Classic with a Merc I/O alpha 3.0. This boat was a salt water boat until 3 years ago when my grandfather gave it to me and and I took it to Ohio. I have had the exhaust manifold replaced and the head gasket and head replaced. Basicely the top of the motor is rebuilt and it run great! However, it appears that my grandfather removed the Thomostat years ago for whatever reason. I have been told by several people that I should put it back in. Should I? And is this a difficult DIY repair? Help?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: boat with no thermostat

I have been told by several people that I should put it back in. Should I? And is this a difficult DIY repair?

Ayuh,... Absolutely put a new 1 in,...
The motor will run more efficently...
Without it, even though the temp gauge will show it running stone cold, it'll be overheating in spots, due to altered water flows...

On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 be the hardest,..
I'd rate it a 1 or 2...

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

Well in salt water you have to change the thermostat every couple of years if you have raw water cooling...maybe it stuck once and it was removed and never replaced...I'd for sure replace it and enjoy an engine that runs at a reasonable temp not like 100* which is what will happen without a stat....I have found numerous cases of cold engine running temps that I fixed by just flushing the stat in a pot of boiling water...rust flakes get caught in the stat when it's cooling off and keep it open then it never lets the engine warm up...I keep a couple of flushed out ones on the boat with a new gasket and gasket sealer so I can pop in a good one with the boat on the mooring if need be...

cr2k

Captain

Couple of hoses, a couple of bolts and BAM! you are done.

pac city

Seaman

could under hard runs in cold water could cold seize.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Not likely. Cold seizing occurs when and engine is started and you hammer down without any warm up whatsoever. The pistons heat up very quickly due to combustion temps being high but the cylinder walls are cool so the pistons expand quickly and the clearance between the two disappears leaving you with a seized engine. It is not a common event but it can happen. If it can happen, why not prevent it by providing a bit of warm up time and using a thermostat. The manufacturers put it in there for a reason.

mkast

Lieutenant Commander

look it up, if you have spent any time with water cooled eng's, you be aware of this. sean it..

Have you "seen" this.

Some fundamentals:

Many people believe that piston seizures occur when engine heat causes the piston to expand larger than the size of the cylinder bore .... This is not true. If you could freeze your engine "in motion" in the middle of a long full throttle pass, and disassemble it for micrometer measurement, you would find the piston skirt to measure at a 0.0000 to 0.0005" or so press fit into the bore. That's right, a slight press fit! The reason that it doesn't seize is because the premix oil has such a terrific film strength that it acts as an unremovable buffer between the piston and the cylinder. That is, the bare metal surface of the piston never actually touches the bare metal surface of the cylinder because the oil stays between them. Many mechanics have experienced this phenomenon while cleaning a freshly bored cylinder. Completely dry without cleaning solvent, the piston moves through the bore with difficulty. After rinsing the piston glides all the way through with no resistance at all. This is because the solvent acts as a film between the piston and cylinder.

A piston seizure can only occur when something burns or scrapes away the oil film that exists between the piston and the cylinder wall. Understanding this, it's not hard to see why oils with exceptionally high film strengths are very desirable. Good quality oils can provide a film that stands up to the most intense heat and the pressure loads of a modern high output engine.

pac city

Seaman

Not likely. Cold seizing occurs when and engine is started and you hammer down without any warm up whatsoever. The pistons heat up very quickly due to combustion temps being high but the cylinder walls are cool so the pistons expand quickly and the clearance between the two disappears leaving you with a seized engine. It is not a common event but it can happen. If it can happen, why not prevent it by providing a bit of warm up time and using a thermostat. The manufacturers put it in there for a reason.

my point exact, didn't say it would,but could, anyway can't be good for eng,. run a corect temp t-stat..

bigskiohio

Master Chief Petty Officer

are you talking 2 cycle, four cycle is not the same

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Not the same in what respect. We know the difference between a two-stroke and a four-stroke. What's your question?