cleaver prop on I/O

brunolund

Chief Petty Officer
is there any issues with running a SS cleaver prop on an i/o? i believe they are designed to run at the suface, but can i run it completly submerged? i usually run a 21" @4600, but for one week i run the boat fully loaded with four people and gear, and can only get 4200. i already have this prop, so hoping it will be fine. if not, anyone want to trade?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: cleaver prop on I/O

If it has the right hub you can try it, sure. We'll assume it has less pitch and you're trying to get the rpm up. Generally speaking we only use a true cleaver when a boat has a ton of natural or aerodynamic lift and we're trying to add stern lift.

What make / style cleaver is it?

brunolund

Chief Petty Officer

sory, yes the cleaver is a 19", but i'm not sure of the make. i tried it last year, and it seemed to work well, but it has a small bend in one blade. it is being straightened right now, will get a part number when it comes back.
I don't know if i need any stern lift, i would rather get the whole boat out of the water more. it is going on a lund tyee 1850, and it seems to keep alot of the boat in the water.
I get 44mph @ 4600 with the 21" FWIW

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, if you tried it last year and it worked OK there's no reason to think it wouldn't be fine especially since it'll be in better shape now. And you're only looking for a temporary prop anyway.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... You said you want more lift for the whole hull,...
A big round eared chopper will impart bow lift...

Generally speakin',.. 4 blade props,+ Cleavers are Stern lifting...

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

would i be better of with a four blade?

Better off as far as what? If you're looking for a new "everyday" prop then - probably. If you want to run this prop for 1 week a year with a full load of folks, then you may be OK with what you have. Obviously the "one week" scenario means you won't be looking for top speed and (most likely) not concerned with max efficiency. And won't be spending money on a new "one week" prop.

There are 4 blade props made for sterndrives. There are 4 blade props with stern lift or bow lift or overall lift. There are 4 blade props made specificaly for heavy following seas.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Better off as far as what? If you're looking for a new "everyday" prop then - probably. If you want to run this prop for 1 week a year with a full load of folks, then you may be OK with what you have. Obviously the "one week" scenario means you won't be looking for top speed and (most likely) not concerned with max efficiency. And won't be spending money on a new "one week" prop.

There are 4 blade props made for sterndrives. There are 4 blade props with stern lift or bow lift or overall lift. There are 4 blade props made specificaly for heavy following seas.

Ole grand master sir, if I could respectfully intervene: What is a "heavy following seas" prop?

Mark

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

A lot of times the offshore fishing crowd are in a situation where they get into heavy (large) waves and are going in the same direction as they troll. As the boat rides down a wave the props tend to vent pretty easily. There are props made specifically for that situation.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

A lot of times the offshore fishing crowd are in a situation where they get into heavy (large) waves and are going in the same direction as they troll. As the boat rides down a wave the props tend to vent pretty easily. There are props made specifically for that situation.

OoooooKaye.