Sideways re-naming ceremony??

DANZIG

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Reading that thread about naming a small boat got me to thinking,,,,

What if you do not know the previous name(s) of your boat?

Best I know of mine is that the "last" POs called it the Gilligan Boat, but as far as I know never "painted" it on.

Any re-naming provision for this situation?

Blank "sink" tag and xtra booze?? :)

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Sideways re-naming ceremony??

xtra booze
+
topless crew

should remove any bad juju!

JoLin

Vice Admiral

If there's no reference to a previous name anywhere on the boat or in writing, there's nothing to rename. Simply referring to the boat as "Gilligan" isn't the same as naming it. Poseiden needs to be formally notifed of your boat's existence.

You need to perform the naming ceremony (along with the xtra booze and topless crew, of course)

Aviator5

Chief Petty Officer

This is an interesting thought. When I bought my last boat, there was no name on it, and first year of using it I had all kinds of problems. Then, when getting it ready for a next season, after removing heavy oxidation on transom, I found a trace of the old name. So I told myself - stop doing anything, order the lettering, and put the name back on. So I did, and everything went as smooth as it could be that season (except for a crappy weather the whole summer):)

JoLin

Vice Admiral

This is an interesting thought. When I bought my last boat, there was no name on it, and first year of using it I had all kinds of problems. Then, when getting it ready for a next season, after removing heavy oxidation on transom, I found a trace of the old name. So I told myself - stop doing anything, order the lettering, and put the name back on. So I did, and everything went as smooth as it could be that season (except for a crappy weather the whole summer):)

See? And lots of people think the whole thing is just superstitious nonsense. You and I know better :D

My boat doesn't have a name yet, but hopefully will this year. Takes a lot of thought. I'm not sure this name is perfect, but it's darned close...

Escapade

DANZIG

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Topless crew?? Have you seen my crew? I don't think I would be getting any favors for that!! LMAO!!

Not a bad idea bout taking the paint down on the stern, hard to tell what might be hidden under there. Best to be safe.