Snowblower Problem

Bucks45

Petty Officer 1st Class
My neighbor told me a couple of months ago that he and his wife were going to Brazil for two weeks. He said that his elderly in-laws were coming up from Florida to take care of his 10 year old son. He asked me to keep an eye on them in case they needed help. They left last Friday and it's snowed everyday since. I've been using his snowblower (a newer looking Craftsman) to keep his driveway and walks clear for them. Yesterday I started it to clear the snow again. I let it warm up a few minutes and went to engage the auger, it died. I started it and let it warm up about 10 more minutes, it died again. I started it a third time, squeezed the auger handle about 1/2 way and it started to turn. Squeezed it the rest of the way, auger stopped, and oil started coming out of the bottom of the engine. Engine kept running (sounded fine), but I shut it down to keep from doing more damage. It looks fairly new so I'm not sure if it's still under warranty. I hate to have him come home to a broken snowblower, but don't want to void the warranty (if there is one). Any ideas on what may have happened?

It's a Craftsman - 24", electric start, self-propelled.

Thanks guys.

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Snowblower Problem

Is it a 2 cycle or 4 storke? and does it have a gear box is the oil coming from there? or the engine block? if it's the gear box then it my be a seal that has blown and leaking. Check all the fluids if it's stalling when engaging the auger it could be with the gear box and or belt drive tension sometimes the belt that dives the gear box will twist from excessive load and cause it to overload the engines govenor now if it doesn't have a gear box it's pretty simple somethings overloading the engine when the auger's engaged. I would suggest checking the belt and or the cable leading to the engagament mechenism for binds and or things caught and or jammed in the auger. Hope this helps

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander

having the motor die when you engage the auger my initial thought would have been ice in auger. froze up. I've had mine do that.

oil out of the bottom could be bad. did you check the oil level to see how much if any remains inside? not sure why oil would come out unless block cracked due to stress.

j_martin

Admiral

Assuming it's a 2 stage machine, the gear ratio for the feed auger is quite low, so the augers are driven from the shaft by special soft and grooved (to weaken them) bolts called shear pins. If you have a dog like I used to, and pick up a stick, screwdriver, deer leg, or whatever left by the mutt, it'll stop the engine, or shear a pin, whichever gives out first.

I have seen folks get tired of replacing shear pins, and in ignorance replace the shear pins with hard bolts. The next time you ice it up good, or pick up a stick, the gear box blows right out the side of the case. I suspect that's what happened.

Not yer fault. It shouldn't break like that. However, if the engine stalls when you let out the clutch, most folks try to find out what is bound up.

hope it helps
John

marlboro180

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Not sure about what may have happened. Is the oil really coming from the engine???? Did you take a look at the oil dipstick tube seal? Or did the block crack???:eek:

If it is like my Craftsman, the gearbox is under between the two halves of the auger, used to drive the auger.

The wheels are driven via reduction chain/ sprockets, and a flywheel with a friction disk. No gearbox under there...

The auger sounds like it was ice bound or foreign object in there. It may be too late for your/his machine, but I have found it to be helpful to store any 2 stage machine at slight incline with the front end pitched down.( like with the wheels on a 2 x 8 or something similar) It allows the water/slush/ ice / snow to drain out and away from the impeller, keeping it usable to chew up things another day.

LINKY LINKY - TYPE IN MODEL #, have fun:)

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/index.action

Bucks45

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to look at it closer this afternoon and see what I can figure out. To make things even worse, I went over and talked to the father-in-law today and he told me that my neighbors father just passed away. They're still in Brazil and his in-laws haven't been able to get ahold of them.

marlboro180

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to look at it closer this afternoon and see what I can figure out. To make things even worse, I went over and talked to the father-in-law today and he told me that my neighbors father just passed away. They're still in Brazil and his in-laws haven't been able to get ahold of them.

Oh my, that is terrible. Snowblower is small potatoes now....

Bucks45

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the help guys. We found out the snowblower is still under warranty. They're fixing it now.