I could use some opinions on this boat...

perrosuperior

Seaman
I plan on riding down to take a look at this over the weekend if the weather doesn't get too bad. It's a 1995 Larson Se 194 Bowrider. The asking price is $5500. As you can see I'm in Duncan, OK, but the boat is closer to Dallas. The size of the boat and the power plant seem like they will fit my needs into the future. If you've read my other advice post you know I'm looking for an I/O in the 19-21' range, and this fits the bill, and falls under budget. Should I be leary of the fact that it has all kinds of new stuff, or just be happy about it. Is there anything with Larson boats that I need to pay special attention to? Any known issues with the motor combination? I don't think I've seen anything so far, but then again, I haven't reached the end of the internet yet! :D

Here's the listing:

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1995-LARSON-SE-194-96416208

Thanks!

cwhite6

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: I could use some opinions on this boat...

Boat looks nice. However, the fact it has all new engine and stuff makes me wonder what he did to have to replace all of it. Ask. Bring someone with you to inspect that knows boats. You could get it surveyed, that is your call.

Blujay96

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would look at the floor. If the carpet has been replaced. Make sure the floor is solid and has not just been patched up. You never know how it has been taken care of. I have a 1987 Rinker with original carpet, but it has always been stored inside.

perrosuperior

Seaman

Yeah, the floor is a given, and the new stuff is a concern. I've dealt with floor issues in the past, and at this point I'd like to stave that off as long as possible on my next purchase. I think getting is surveyed may be in the cards as well.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Looks like a real nice boat. I kinda wonder if it at least partially sunk with all that new stuff. Definitely gonna need a new prop.

rokrau

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Should I be leary of the fact that it has all kinds of new stuff, or just be happy about it. Is there anything with Larson boats that I need to pay special attention to? Any known issues with the motor combination? I don't think I've seen anything so far, but then again, I haven't reached the end of the internet yet! :D
Thanks!

I have had a Larson 180 SEI for one season, am very happy with it. Nice boats. Volvo Penta are rock solid. The combination will have more than enough umph for this boat and a new prop costs a little over 100 on iBoats. Ask though how it got so banged up and ask why the engine is new.

Bring money if you need to convince the owner that you are serious.

Arrange for a water test before driving that far. Watch out for how the boat handles in the water, the steering etc.. How quickly does it plane, should be fast and smooth at less than 20mph.

Since someone here wondered whether the boat was partial sunk I remember that someone else here suggested that if water got in the core it will be heavier than normal - leading to "white tailing" - i.e. lots of white foam squirting up from the outdrive. Also, a new engine should behave like a new engine, no stuttering, no smoke, starts right up, runs silky smooth, etc.. Especially if its EFI, carbs always sputter a bit at first.

If you can pull this one for around or less than 5 grand I'd consider it a deal.

One more thing come to mind, why does the battery look so small and lost....?

perrosuperior

Seaman

Thanks for the info. I'll have to check into all of the above.

The battery placement seems odd from the picture, but since I haven't seen it first hand, I'll reserve my speculation. I do like the idea of running a dual battery setup, and there appears to be plenty of room for a second battery.

Assuming it's not a hack job, I'm quite excited by the prospect of this one. I try not to get my hopes up as I've seen beautiful boats in pictures only to see their extreme flaws when I got to them in person.

The water test is covered under the weather permitting aspect of the post.

Is there anything I should take into consideration with regards to the existing prop and the water test? Should I notice any lag or turbulence?

Thanks again!

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Just one thing in the ad struck me that nobody else mentioned- 5.8 Liter?

That would be a Ford, wouldn't it? Are they easy to find parts for? I don't know how long it's been since Volvo stopped 'marinizing' Ford V-8's...

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I didn't read anyone elses response. Here's mine for a quick hip shot.

Here you have a good boat mfgr and good engine mfgr. The boat is 15 yrs old. The ad says new engine. Then it says new short block....I didn't know that you needed a new short block to go with a new engine.......... Then something else they said that didn't make sense. Then the prop is all dinged up. Then the price is sorta low......gut feel......RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN, NORTH, NOT SOUTH TO DALLAS.

My 2c.

Mark

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

weather should be ok-52derees Saturday-
if you do not see any rot-everything works- motor runs as new- you like- buy it.
my $.02
good luck -:cool:Joe

perrosuperior

Seaman

Thanks for all the input! I'm hoping it came from someone who did a good job refurbing it, and they needed to get some cash out of it. We shall see...

reelfishin

Captain

Be extra cautious looking at a boat in the winter, freezing temps can hide soft floors and rotted transom wood. I have a junk boat sitting out back now that's bound for the dump, the floors were all but mush before it got cold out, it's rock solid now.

I only say this since the Weather Channel just said something about snow in the Dallas area. At least your not dealing with what we've had lately in the north east.

I'd also be concerned as to why that boat needed so much work, I'd guess it was either heavily used and worn out, neglected, or abused and damaged to need that much work.

mike343

Petty Officer 1st Class

I plan on riding down to take a look at this over the weekend if the weather doesn't get too bad. It's a 1995 Larson Se 194 Bowrider. The asking price is $5500. As you can see I'm in Duncan, OK, but the boat is closer to Dallas. The size of the boat and the power plant seem like they will fit my needs into the future. If you've read my other advice post you know I'm looking for an I/O in the 19-21' range, and this fits the bill, and falls under budget. Should I be leary of the fact that it has all kinds of new stuff, or just be happy about it. Is there anything with Larson boats that I need to pay special attention to? Any known issues with the motor combination? I don't think I've seen anything so far, but then again, I haven't reached the end of the internet yet! :D

Here's the listing:

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1995-LARSON-SE-194-96416208

Thanks!

Does anyone know what the following means?

NEW Volvo 5.8Fl engine, 5 hours, NEW Long Block

New engine and new long block??? VP's are 5.7"s 300hp on a 19 ft bowrider.

superpop

Master Chief Petty Officer

It is not a GM block, it is a Ford block. 351 with what looks like TBI. I think Manifolds and Risers are still readily available for that motor, I would be a bit concerned about the other Volvo bits and pieces on the motor. I guess you could throw a new manifold and carb on it if the TBI becomes an issue. Not sure about the HP rating on this motor but it should be good in that size of a boat. Larson is a good brand. looking at other things like the upholstery and gel coat, it looks like it was well taken care of. New carpet is not that suspicious in a boat that old, just check really well for rot. As for the block being new, could be freeze damage or just worn out depending on hours. I would still do a compression check on the motor and have the drive inspected and serviced. If it was me I would also probably put new manifolds and risers on unless someone could tell you the last time if ever that they were replaced. I doubt this boat ever saw salt water so the manifolds and risers could be perfectly fine. Other than that for the price, seems like a good deal. In Seattle that would be a 7K boat easy.

perrosuperior

Seaman

Thanks again! It looks like I'm going to be a week out on being able to make the trip out to look at it due to some unfortunate tree collapses due to the snow from yesterday, but I do have high hopes for the boat. All things considered, if my mechanic says the motor and drive units are in good shape, and the floor is solid, this will be my next boat.

perrosuperior

Seaman

While speaking with a more knowledgable person about the boat I found out some more information. The block was replaced as the boat was not winterized two years ago, and the block cracked. While the boat was getting the new block, the owner decided to have other repairs done, to include the new carpet and guages. This is where the marina was unsure as to why. They also said that he is selling it because he is now handicapped and can no longer get on the boat. Furthermore, the outdrive is a volvo SX (anything I should know about these?), and the propeller is damaged because it "hit something" and they will replace it, but the outdrive has been recently serviced and should be ready to go.

So, the plan as of now is to drive out and check it out up close and personal. I want to make sure the floors are solid, and take it out for a water test, and have an independant mechanic check it over. Assuming all checks out, I think we've found our new boat. I might have my hopes up a little, but I try not to get carried away as I've seen the wrinkles in beauty queens before.

perrosuperior

Seaman

Complete bummer. We checked out the boat yesterday, and as soon as I opened the ski locker I was met with visible rot, and it wasn't a little. I had asked the dealer no less than 3 times if the floors were solid, and he assured me they were new. 8 hours of drive time only to find out something he should have told me over the phone. It looked like a fresh motor and outdrive, and the gelcoat was in great shape, but the rot was horrendous. Live and learn.

After finding the rot, he tried to show me another boat, but I couldn't trust a word he said at that point. It may have been an incredible deal, but I need to have some level of trust in such a large (to me) purchase.

Back to the search!

ziggy

Admiral

what a drag. bummer that didn't work out for ya man.
at least you knew what to be looking for. it's the first thing to be looking for even. wood rot.
to bad the looser dealer wasn't honest. just so ya know, there are honest ones out there.
i drove 540 miles one way for my boat. like you, i ask over and over, is the floor soft, ya been jumping on the drive, any transom flex? came down to either go look or forget it. the dealer was telling the truth. it is a dandy boat.
good job on walking too. it's so easy to let the glitter of any boat overwhelm me and make ya me somewhat gullible. that one looked real nice too.
the dealer i got my boat from afforded me a whole day of his time for the sale. he did compression tests in front of me, drive pressure test in ft of me, let me feel the lub. let me inspect it for a hour or three. took me on a sea trial. i drove, he drove. when he drove, he beat it. full throttle starts, high speed turns. it was a good experience. a consignment sale even.

hang in there, the right one will come by. there are still some honest folks out there, i think. at least in rapid city, sd. there was..

edit, i located my boat through iboats want ads.

perrosuperior

Seaman

I keep an eye on the want ads here, and I'm just waiting for that special one that fits my needs and wants.

When I opened the ski locker the look on the sales mans face was priceless. He tried to say that they didn't look at it close enough. How hard is it to pull the hatch for the locker? I didn't even get down to look in it. It was crazy.

I'm more than willing to drive for the right deal, and I know there are honest sellers out there. This was just a bad deal.

I was proud of myself too. The initial disappointment was followed by a rush of, "I must have a boat today". Then cooler heads prevailed. Good stuff!