68 sportwin 9.5 sticky throttle

Dougan

Petty Officer 3rd Class
In my quest to get one of these motors, I found one a guy wants to sell. I haven't looked at it yet, but he told me it's in good running shape, except that the throttle arm is really sticky and hard to turn. I asked if it was just a pain in the butt that i could deal with, or if it was something that really needed to be fixed, and he said I'd probably want to fix it.

I'm not very technically knowledgeable about outboards but I think if it's just a matter of stripping it down a bit and lubricating it, I feel comfortable doing that, otherwise I'd want to take it in.

I know there's a lot of people that have this outboard (as I just got a ton of responses on my last post... thanks again), so I was wondering if this might be a common problem with a general solution. Think it just needs to be lubricated, or do you think something more complicated is going on here? Obviously there's no way to tell for sure w/o looking at it...

Thanks in advance!

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: 68 sportwin 9.5 sticky throttle

You'll have to see for yourself IMO, it's one of those things that's open to interpretation, one user might think its hard to turn on the other may think it's just right. Usually it just a matter or freeing it up and lubricating everything to do with the control.

Dougan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

it's one of those things that's open to interpretation, one user might think its hard to turn on the other may think it's just right.

I agree with this. I currently have two outboards and I don't like how loose one's throttle is, I prefer having to use a bit of elbow grease to turn it... I'm hoping his version of "too hard" is my version of "perfect" and I don't even have to try to fix it at all! :)

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

99% a little cleaning, and grease will make it usable. there are a few nylon sleeves that might need to be replace, but that is not rocket science.