'67 johnson 20hp wiring question

uni_panther

Cadet
hey everyone, i have a question. i moved my battery towards the front of the boat to run a bow mount trolling motor and also to maybe get my boat to plane out quicker. i was wonder what gauge wire i will need to run...say 15 ft mayb a lil shorter from the battery back to my motor with electric start. i believe the motor already has 3ft. leads of, i wanna say, 6 gauge wire mayb 4 guage? and would i need any sort of fuse?
thanx for any help

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: '67 johnson 20hp wiring question

hey everyone, i have a question. i moved my battery towards the front of the boat to run a bow mount trolling motor and also to maybe get my boat to plane out quicker. i was wonder what gauge wire i will need to run...say 15 ft mayb a lil shorter from the battery back to my motor with electric start. i believe the motor already has 3ft. leads of, i wanna say, 6 gauge wire mayb 4 guage? and would i need any sort of fuse?
thanx for any help

My personal thought is that I would discourage what you are contemplating. You are going to put the battery up where it is going to be abused by the rough ride. But if you insist, use cable extensions at least a size bigger than what's on there. There is no such thing as too big. Fortunatly, a 20hp doesn't draw a huge amount of starter current.