What is "too fast" with a toon?

Bubba1235

No longer on Forums
At what speed does the average toon (26 foot) become unstable and risky?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: What is "too fast" with a toon?

Can't answer that because there is no simple answer. If one is heavily loaded on the front, any speed in rough water presents a problem with submarining. A bow high attitude with lots of power and speeds approaching the 50 MPH range (if possible) would present the possiblity of a back flip or lifting a tube. This is a very unlikely event but very high horsepower, very light loads, load balance, operator experience and water conditions all combine to present the "perfect storm" scenario and anything can happen.

northernmerc

Chief Petty Officer

They aren't built for speed - mainly suitable for putzing along at a lazy pace on sunny days. Stick to the rated hp limit and use common sense. If you want speed, buy a speedboat.

OldePharte

Chief Petty Officer

As others, I suppose there is no real answer. You'll find out what the speed is as it happens.

We have pontoons around here that routinely get to 60+. (I have seen one that has triple IO's) But then that is on smooth water and not a lot of head wind. At the LOTO Shootout (1 mile drag race), there was one that went 80+.

We have also had a Playcraft being tested that flipped over during a power turn and killed a passenger.

So, you considering overpowering one for a race of some kind?

Snobike Mike

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think most high power production toons will end you in the mid 40's. I recently watched a boat test with some large toon with a 496 Mag in the back. It went somewhere around 47 I believe.

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer

Sounds to me like he bought the wrong boat for his tastes. It's hard to have a floating backyard that will pass everything else on the water.
Mike

DaNinja

Lieutenant

Sounds to me like he bought the wrong boat for his tastes. It's hard to have a floating backyard that will pass everything else on the water.
Mike

This one does pretty well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjjcFVh5pHA
Like OldePharte said, The Shootout at LOTO had some 80+mph floating living rooms.:eek:

I think the overall winner was 91mph. Down from his previous runs of 93mph.

OldePharte

Chief Petty Officer

Not I ! I have friend of a friend that beefed up his transom (did a very good job with braces running several feet towards front of boat and then cross tied) and is going to install a Merc 250. Toon is/was rated for 150 -175 HP (I think). I told him I didn't think it is just a matter of hanging the power on it but that it would become unsafe at any real speed.

He runs on the river mostly so its fairly calm but in my minds eye I can just see trying to turn too fast and flipping it sideways. Thats a LOT of toon sticking out in front of the engine so I have to believe turning it is going to be the huge issue at speed.

He has 4 kids, his wife and usually a couple guests when they go out so its got a fairly good load on board. He claims that with the load they can't pull toys (ski) very well and is tired of being the slowest thing on the water.

My guess is that that particular unit was rated a certain HP for a couple of reasons. One being stability in turns. Boat testers do power turns for a reason. I have had many pontoon boat mfgr's and Cobalt as clients, and we have discussed the liability issues of modifications and overloading/overpowering.

'Course there is a whole other issue dealing with overpowering/overloading a boat beyond it's plate rating. If he is an an area with Coast Guard patrol, they may not like what he is doing.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

250 isn't alot of power for a toon, Yamaha makes a 350 that is ordered once in a while and I have seen toons with 2-250s that ran into the 90s.

As stated, toons regularly run in the 60s and are very stable, I woudl imagine your buddy with the 250 shouldget into the mid 40s.

Bearfan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My Triple with strakes and a 200hp will run in the 40s...fast enough for me. I prefer the relaxing atmosphere as opposed to the addrenaline anymore. When I get much above 30, I have a tendancy to spill my beveredge.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

tritoons are much more stable at higher speeds. i have a 1987 20' with a 140 Evinrude, beefed up transom. will run 39, on calm water, get a decent chop, and i have to slow down.