Opinion on trolling motor

houla7033

Seaman Apprentice
Looking to replace my current trolling motor (a 29lb evinrude) I am wondering if the 55lb Minn Kota riptide would make me happy. Its going on a 17ft Lowe roughneck. Is that enough thrust or should I step up to a 24 volt 70lb thrust. I know more is better but would I really need it?:confused:

Huron Angler

Admiral
Re: Opinion on trolling motor

Once you step up to anything larger than the 55lb you will need to run two heavy 12V batteries in serial connection rather than just the one. This added weight at least partially offsets the additional thrust anyhow, so I'd stick with the 55.

This is a flat-bottom hull I assume so you don't have too much weight to move around. Are you looking at bow-mount or transom?

houla7033

Seaman Apprentice

Im looking for a bow mount hand controlled. Actually its a one of the Lowes modified v hulls so not quite a flatbottom. I figure with the 50 hp johnson, all fishing gear and me and a buddy its around 1100 or so lbs.

Huron Angler

Admiral

My dad has a 17' aluminum Sea Nymph and he has a 75lb thrust bow-mount tiller steer Minn Kota and that thing really zips around:D His boat probably weighs more than yours as it has a 60hp Evinrude etec and probably more interior structure as well.

A 55lb will get you from point A to point B just fine. Pulling from the front rather than pushing at the transom helps with control a lot too.

The big advantage(in addition to more thrust) of the serial connection with two batteries would be extended running time, so unless you plan on using the troller for 8hrs straight I'd opt for the 55lb. with one deep cycle 12V.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

55# is very adequate. I have a 55 PowerDrive on my pontoon and it works fine. A 50# on an Alumacraft Navigator 165 CS is also very adequate.

I have a 18'6" bass boat with 81 LBS-O-T (of-thrust), Motorguide. Fried the trolling motor once out of 4 years. When I had the trolling motor rebuilt, I was told I should consider getting 110 LBS-O-T. Still haven't achieved the bigger motor subject that it requires an extra battery(36Volts) and a new on-board charger(three bank instead of two). The situation is relative to your problem. Upgrade or stick with it?!?

Now I'm sure I will end up frying out this motor again when I could have spent half as much on a new 3bank battery charger and xtra battery-and still have extra power when needed. I wish I upgraded. Not only is it a "piece of mind" the security that your trolling motor won't fry on you, the joy of having a new toy is great too.

I'm a tournament fisherman and put lots of hours on the motor so keep that in mind too. If your not going to use the motor very often then 55 LBS-O-T is adequate for leisure.

Just food for your thoughts.....Good Luck!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

A bigger motor is no guarantee it won't have issues. A 36 volt motor can burn up just as easily as a 12 or 24. It also didn't burn up because it was overworked. Electric motors draw the most amount of current at startup or stalled rotor. If the motor is running, it is not being overworked. It may be drawing more current than normal (with bad bearings for example) but it is still not drawing so much current that it causes fried windings.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

...81 LBS-O-T (of-thrust), Motorguide. Fried the trolling motor once out of 4 years.....Now I'm sure I will end up frying out this motor again...I'm a tournament fisherman and put lots of hours on the motor so keep that in mind too. If your not going to use the motor very often then 55 LBS-O-T is adequate for leisure...

The thing that is missing from most of the trolling motor power questions is what it is being used for. A bass guy in a river with a lot of current will want a lot of thrust to hold in certain areas, and bursts of speed to maneuver. A guy who trolls for walleye or salmon will want long run-time at a pretty good steady clip with easily adjustable speed.

The first real question on power is will a certain "thrust" accomplish your goals? The second is will the motor and required batteries in question deliver for the amount of time you spend on the water?

As far as burning out your 80# Motorguide- it probably died from being used a lot. Nothing wrong with that and should be thought of as an eventuality. I killed a 36# Minn Kota two summers ago because we were running it at least once a week for 6- 8 hours, maybe up to four hours in wind, but that was because we were using more power to control the boat in wind. We ran it hard trolling for walleye or salmonids until the battery is discharged!

If the 80# Motorguide controls your boat for the length of time you need it to run, then the 110# motor is simply overkill. But if you want it, get it. But I wouldn't see the need if the 80# lasts all day long.

tpcowfish

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Had a 55 pd on a 1850 fish hawk, seemed plenty to me, when I wanted long days of constant trolling, just had 2 batteries, and switched when meter got low, but since I only troll that long on constant, once in a great while, it worked fine, plenty of speed. I used Optima's with good luck, but they raised the price so high now, Good luck with what ever you choose. Tim