Screw for Lockout lever on '57 Johnson

BanjoRed145

Cadet
My 1957 Johnson 35hp project engine came with the recoil starter already removed, I fixed the starter and mounted it back on but I don't have the screw and washer that holds the lockout lever in place. I just have a generic Clymer's manual and I need to know what size screw and/or washer I need to use.

Second question: What is the thin metal strip that slides onto the brass rod on the top of the recoil starter and then connects with two screws on the back of the engine and has a little nylon thing that slides in the grooves on the recoil starter? Again this was already apart when I got it but I can't even find the part in my manual. I can see how it goes together but just wasn't sure what it was and didn't even know how to search for it since I didn't know what it did:redface:

A follow up question to the above would be what size screws should I use on said metal strip, since the screws for that didn't come with it either.

Thanks a bunch for any help!!!

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Screw for Lockout lever on '57 Johnson

My 1957 Johnson 35hp project engine came with the recoil starter already removed, I fixed the starter and mounted it back on but I don't have the screw and washer that holds the lockout lever in place. I just have a generic Clymer's manual and I need to know what size screw and/or washer I need to use.

Second question: What is the thin metal strip that slides onto the brass rod on the top of the recoil starter and then connects with two screws on the back of the engine and has a little nylon thing that slides in the grooves on the recoil starter? Again this was already apart when I got it but I can't even find the part in my manual. I can see how it goes together but just wasn't sure what it was and didn't even know how to search for it since I didn't know what it did:redface:

A follow up question to the above would be what size screws should I use on said metal strip, since the screws for that didn't come with it either.

Thanks a bunch for any help!!!

That is a special shouldered screw. I believe it is a #10-24 thread. Screw is part number 303247 and bow washer is part number 302473.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

That little lever you're refering too is to the compression relief valves on the head. There should be a cam set up on the head to open those valves, when you us the hand starter to start the motor. These are often times missing parts because people tend to tinker with them. If you can, post some pics of it and we should be able to tell if anything is missing. If you plan on using the electric starter to start the motor, or if you have 28" biceps, then the compression releases are not necessary.:D:D

BanjoRed145

Cadet

Thanks a bunch for the part numbers!

I got home after it was dark so I couldn't take any pictures of the compression release lever/mechanism but yeah, that is definitely what I was asking about;) Now that I know what it is I'm looking up I should be able to find a lot more information about it:D

I'll get some photos up soon.......