Help!!!

jakerr1

Recruit
I was heading out of the river going to flats, I was in the channel going about 30 all of a sudden the boat stoped while the engine was screaming.
I did not hit anything.

At slow speed its fine but when I try to shoot out the boat goes no where and the engine screams.

Checked prop, fine. Checked lower unit oil same color as when I put it in, no metal shaving as well. I also did a test I put it in foward and I can turn the prop by hand.

I was wondering if it could a the rubber hub or a shot lower unit.

94 mariner 40hp magnum 4 cylinder low hours.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Help!!!

Sounds like a spun hub in the prop. Have you tried your spare?

jakerr1

Recruit

I guess it would be wise to have one on standby, only thing is my prop you have to have a blow torch to get it off so I have been told.

I am hoping hub as well, I dont know what else it could be....I am going to the shop tommorow... I really dont think it is the lower unit, it seems fine

is there anyother test I can do? thank you for your help

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

If properly installede and maintained prop should come off by hand.
If you get the prop off mark a waterproof line across the hub then run the boat and recheck the line if a spun hub line will break.Assuming no floating crap picked up by the prop it sure sounds like a spun hub.Usually a prop shop can rehub.

Bondo

Staff member

I also did a test I put it in foward and I can turn the prop by hand.
only thing is my prop you have to have a blow torch to get it off so I have been told.

Ayuh,... Please explain your "Test"....
Was the prop,+ the propShaft turning,..?? In both directions, or only 1, with clicking noises,..??

If a Blowtorch has Ever been used to remove the prop, It's probably Junk...
A prop with a properly Greased propshaft should slide Right off, after the nut is removed...

Btw,... The prop should be removed,+ Greased, Every single Year...

jakerr1

Recruit

I am sorry I meant the hub, I heard you have to heat prop up in order to get the hub out>>>

Thanks for all your help ..out

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I believe they just press the hub out and press it back in with a new bushing.