Can you stand test a 95 Johnson 90 without controls?

Rookie 132

Cadet
Hello experts! A few quick questions. I am wanting to test a 90 horse Johnson on a stand and do not want to buy a set of controls. Is there a way to do this? I have not seen the motor yet so I do not know if it has manual start, but was wondering if there was a way to rig up an electrical start for one.
Secondly, if I take this motor I would be putting it on a boat with a set of 96 and newer controls, not the big red plug. What is the best way to adapt my controls? I've heard you can switch the wiring harness or take a couple wires off the harness and rig it up. What is the easiest way to do this without affecting the set up too much?
Thanks!!!

trendsetter240

Lieutenant
Re: Can you stand test a 95 Johnson 90 without controls?

Hello experts! A few quick questions. I am wanting to test a 90 horse Johnson on a stand and do not want to buy a set of controls. Is there a way to do this? I have not seen the motor yet so I do not know if it has manual start, but was wondering if there was a way to rig up an electrical start for one.
Secondly, if I take this motor I would be putting it on a boat with a set of 96 and newer controls, not the big red plug. What is the best way to adapt my controls? I've heard you can switch the wiring harness or take a couple wires off the harness and rig it up. What is the easiest way to do this without affecting the set up too much?
Thanks!!!

I don't think the engine will start without the control harness connected and the ignition in the run position. Others may chime in with a way to cross some wires and bypass this.

You can test the compression by running a heavy gauge wire from the Pos+ terminal of the battery to the Pos+ terminal of the starter to crank it over.

As for running a 95 motor on a 96 control set sure you can. Just need an adapter which is available from BRP. I don't think that system check will work though. I have the reverse adapter setup in my garage, a 1995 control set connected to a 2000 engine. The adapter cost me about $100. Probably cheaper to try and find some used controls on clist or ebay.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

good control and harnesses can be expensive, get the adapter.

very easily you can test on the stand. connect battery cables. buy a $12.00 remote starter switch, connect switch to starter solenoid, incoming positive cable post, and the other wire to the small contact post yellow/red wire. this will activate the starter. you will have to manually operate the primer solenoid. do not rev over 1500 rpms.

be sure you have a good water source, and muffs. also to stop the motor, you will have to flood it, or starve it of fuel.

Attachments

• remote starter switch.jpg
    remote starter switch.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 0

Rookie 132

Cadet

Thanks for the advice, that is what I was hoping to hear. One more thing, if you want to test the drive going into forward and reverse is there a way to rig up cables without the controls also???
Thanks,
Kevin

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

Thanks for the advice, that is what I was hoping to hear. One more thing, if you want to test the drive going into forward and reverse is there a way to rig up cables without the controls also???
Thanks,
Kevin

You can manually shift at the powerhead. No need to attach a cable.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

I have a 95 johnson motor(big red plug end ) with 96 and newer controls( pigtail series of connectors) and the systems check tachometer... all works fine.

I have an adapter that connects the different harnesses...it is actually too long, but I luckily got it for free when my buddy gave me his older blown motor and the controls which happened to be newer and it had an adpater in the system...

the system check plug on the control goes to the tach!!!

way down at the other end all the connectors have their place that are fed into the harness going into the red plug...

the VRO oil pump wiring is seperate....as is the PTT plug....all else i think feeds into the red plug

good luck

I knew i couldnt start my motor until i connected the harness...something to do with opening a circuit throuigh the solenoid , that allows the motor to start!!!

bob

Rookie 132

Cadet

Thanks Bob and everyone else, I am definately a lot more confident on the testing out of the motor.
kevin

Last edited:

Rookie 132

Cadet

Bob,
I'm aware of #176711 the red plug adapter and #175898 the tilt/trim adapter, but I haven't heard of a VRO adapter. Do they make one???? Anyone know the part number?
Thanks,
Kevin

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

Bob,
I'm aware of #176711 the red plug adapter and #175898 the tilt/trim adapter, but I haven't heard of a VRO adapter. Do they make one???? Anyone know the part number?
Thanks,
Kevin

I dont think there is an adapter...

going from memory here..i think on the motor there is the big red plug, PLUS there is a connector for the Tilt and trim, and there is a connector that goes to the oil tank...

i cant say for sure....but the harness adapter will have all the connection you need...if you dont use the VRO oil tank ..then you just let it lay unused( actually it might be good to tape it off so it doesnt corrode..)

when i was looking around for a short version of the adapter, I did notice there are different versions with less connectors.....maybe because some commercial motors dont use the VRO system..thus i bet they made a harness that had no provisions for connecting an oil tank...

I can speak for what I have experienced...after that, I am only hypothesizing... ha ha ha

good luck

bob