Smart tabs vs Hydrofoils

FBPirate95

Master Chief Petty Officer
Ok I'm working on my game plan for my project boat and would like everyone's input on smart tabs and hydrofoils. The question I have is which is better...smart tabs only, hydrofoil only, or smart tabs and hydrofoil combination? I know its a very ignorant question.....but if you don't ask, you'll never know right?

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Smart tabs vs Hydrofoils

the only place to install a hydrofoil is in the metal recycle bin!

5150abf

Vice Admiral

This has always been a bit of a hot topic here, foils do work but tabs are better and no you don't want to run both.

If you can afford tabs run them if not a foil is fine, I have run one on my boat for a long time and it does what I want it to.

A foil puts the lift on the engine and transom where tabs put the lift on the hull.

And there are no ignorant questions, if you need to know and you don't asking is the only way to find out.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

no question, smart tabs. put the lift where it belongs on the bottom of the transom.

foils lift from the AV plate, put excess stress on the motor, tilt tube, transom mount, and upper part of transom.

it is true foils can improve performance, on small boat with small hp.

lprizman

Chief Petty Officer

no question, smart tabs. put the lift where it belongs on the bottom of the transom.

foils lift from the AV plate, put excess stress on the motor, tilt tube, transom mount, and upper part of transom.

it is true foils can improve performance, on small boat with small hp.

perfectly said
I had a foil on a 17' bass boat w/ 90HP worked fine,,,current boat has smart tabs sx-60's, perfect application.
do not do both,,,get the tabs.
best of luck

FBPirate95

Thanks everyone....looks like it will be smart tabs for me!

mike-the-cobra

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Actually the Smart tabs may actually work too well in my case. I put them on last year and actually feel like they keep the front of the boat TOO LOW. I need to adjust them so there is not so much downward force on the front of the boat. Just seems the front is way too low to the water when at speed.

basstracker219

Petty Officer 2nd Class

smart tabs are more spendy, but you get your money worth.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

This is worse than a Ford vs. Chevy discussion because many boaters are sooooo opinionated that they can't or won't listen to the other side. Thus, I know I'm going to get blasted big time because I am going to take the unpopular side.

To preface my remarks let me say that there is no "one size all" answer. It depends on the specific boat's configuration. There are boats that don't need either, and others that should not be run without one or the other. Boats that are problematic typically fall under the category of being very stern heavy. Here are my examples:

20' Bowrider - OE stern mounted gas tank, 10 HP outboard added on a bracket, and OB gas tank installed under stern seat. Not feasible to move equipment around so have to live with a stern heavy condition. Could not get much positive trim without porpoising at mid range speeds, and lots of bow rise on acceleration. The trim tabs enabled full trim but did not satisfactorily reduce bow rise. Visa versa for the Doel Fin. But Fin and tabs together eliminated all objectional characteristics and gave a speed increase with no increase in fuel consumption.

14' Tiller Fishing Boat - boat used solo most of the time, so all the weight is aft. Bow rise corrected with tilt angle adjustments. Ran OK up to 18 HP, but when a 35 HP was hung on the transom, bow rise was not correctable. Doel Fin solved the problem and increased speed too.

23' Cuddy - long sleek light bow area, small aft cockpit. Bow Rise! Doel Fin fixed 90%. A double cupped special prop fixed the rest.

15' Wood Lapstreak Aft cockpit 1952 runabout, aft gas tank, aft driver - runs perfect needs nothing. Damn, they designed boats better in the old days.

I speak here not from what I read or what somebody told me, but my own personal experience and data. When I say data I mean RPM, GPS speed and GPH. Also, fins don't make the cavitation plate break off unless they were improperly installed (I have one on an I/O that has been there 26 years). And, the engine manufacturers don't put them on in the first place because they don't know what boat you are going to put it on.

So, my recommendation would be to buy both and try one, the other and both and see for yourself.

df909

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 20' Bayliner with a 4.3L Alpha 1 drive. I put a hydrofoil on, went to the lake, and took it off when I got home.

It made the boat handle very erratically and I had to play with the trim the entire time on the lake. The boat would pitch to one side without and steering changes and when I did turn, the boat leaned into the turn way too much.

I also agree that I'd rather the stress of lift on the boat itself rather than the outdrive lifting the boat.

FBPirate95

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

mike-the-cobra, contact Nauticus, your actuator may be too strong for your boat. they have a great service dept.