Speedometer does not work.

seaswirl12

Cadet
Hello all. The speedometer on my Johnon outboard powered Seaswirl was not working when I bought the boat. I noticed that the probe on the stern was damaged so I replaced it, however it still does not work. It looks as though the system works by pessure or vacum?(1/8" tube connected to probe). What else should I be checking to cure the problem? Any help would be appreciated as I'm not familiar with the system operation. Thanks again.

renagade69

Cadet
Re: Speedometer does not work.

They work on pressure. There is the tube on the back of the boat,the hose to the gauge, and the gauge. You can check the hose condition and the gauge

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Tube is clogged? Many run by water pressure forced into the tube as you run. They get debris lodged in the opening or gunkified from sitting.
If you have a speedo on your GPS use that instead. Water pressure speedo's are not very accurate, not that they need to be. They are fun to have but not very important.

seaswirl12

Cadet

Thanks. If I understand correctly no electrical power is required(only backlighting for the gauge). So I will check for blockage or breaks in the tube from the probe to the gauge. Thanks again for the help.

CaptNCamille

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Whenever mine gets clogged I take the boat out into open water, stop, give the engine a few quick bursts of power in reverse. THat usually unclogs it.

But as said above, the speedo on your GPS is more accurate anyhow. THe speedo o your boat which operates by pressure measures speed through the water which is affected by currents. Your GPS measure your speed over ground.

JimMH

Petty Officer 1st Class

You could presure test the tube by blowing some air in the tubing after taking it loose fromt eh pickup. As stated before it could be kinked or clogged or could have a hole in it.