Prop nut?

huntin dawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have an old 7.5 HP, a 1973 I believe. I am in the process of rehabing it. The prop nut is unlike any I have seen before. It's aluminum and has a red cap integrated into it which appears to act to lock it in place as well as keep junk out of the threads.

The red cap is cracked. Is it o.k. to replace it with a regular vinyl lock nut or will corrosion be an issue using a steel nut?

Thanks.

HD

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: Prop nut?

It's Stainless Steel, fine thread and the red stuff is the nylon locking device to keep it from backing off as a result of vibration....a locking device as you surmised.

There are numerous places to get one, local marine dealer, local mechanic that has been in business for that year and later, www shopping for stainless steel marine hardware, or just ss hardware. You might get lucky and your local FULL SERVICE hardware store may have one.

Measure the thread diameter and ask for the SAE Fine version.

HTH

Mark

crem1

Petty Officer 1st Class

A splined washer would not hurt either

huntin dawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Gentlemen,
I've never seen a nut like this. I know the red part is for locking but it is also a cap that covers the end of the shaft. Weird.

I can't find a replacement anywhere.

HD

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

A picture would be nice. Sounds weird speaking of the cap. Have you tried a Merc dealer?

Mark