Outdrive Gasket Sealer or Not?

e016188

Cadet
Hello,

I need to reinstall my OMC Cobra outdrive. My local mechanic told me not to use gasket sealer on the paper gasket between the outdrive and pivot housing. He told me just to use the paper gasket.

The Crowley Marine website recommends applying gasket sealer to both sides of the paper gasket. See link.

http://support.crowleymarine.com/article/17323945/

Do I use gasket sealer or just use paper gasket?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Outdrive Gasket Sealer or Not?

That probably came from the early manuals. According to the OEM service manual (#508289 if you want to know which one), it says to install new gasket. Nothing about any sealer of any kind. In the places where they do want sealer, they say so. In the manual and show pictures.

So now you have heard/read, my version.
PS: It's on page 9-3 of that manual if you want to look.

While it won't hurt anything to put it on there, it will make it a real PITA to get it off the next time. You would probably end up scraping off paint and gouging the aluminum.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Agree with Don,I have done many Cobras and just installed the gaskets dry.

havasuboatman

Ensign

I too never use sealer on Cobra drives, mine or customers.

e016188

Cadet

Thanks. I just bought a used copy of the factory manual off ebay.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

Well my '88 OMC factory shop manual says to coat the gasket on both sides with OMC gasket sealer and I've never had any problems getting the drive off after using this stuff...it never hardens and seals very well....here is a link to the factory manual stuff.....I'm guessing that the reason for the sealer is to keep water esp salt water out of the pocket where the shift bellcrank is...often you will find salt crystals built up in there if there has been a leak into that area.....

http://support.crowleymarine.com/article/17323945/

see it says right there coat it on both sides....I think the OMC stuff is the same thing as Permatex Aviation Sealer...