merc 110 carbon steel drive shaft corrosion

peterdemerc

Recruit
I replaced the impeller on my water pump on my 68 merc 110. I noticed some crud on the drive shaft and emery clothed it a bit. I assumed it was stainless but now I find its not. Should I paint or grease this driveshaft before reassembly to prevent excess corrosion. I use this outboard in the salt.

crem1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: merc 110 carbon steel drive shaft corrosion

Wiping it with an all purpose grease would not hurt, it will help against corrosion

robert graham

Admiral

Grease will work if it's heavy enough to stay on the shaft, but maybe sand, prime and paint that shaft with a good corrosion-resistant paint to protect from that salt environment. Also,Yamaha sells a spray-on grease-like stuff called "Corrosion Protectant Spray" that's very sticky and thick that I spray on my tilt/trim unit, motor, rods,etc., and it stays on real well with a lot of water exposure. Good Luck!

peterdemerc

Recruit

I painted and greased it. But considering the exhaust gasses and cooling water come down over it I imagine anything I put on will come off. perhaps the oil in the exhaust gasses help keep off the corrosion. Considering this is a 42 yo motor I am amazed it is in as good a condition as it is, though its only been used in the salt a couple of years. Anyway thanks for your input.