Bottom Crank Seal 76 15hp

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Pulled the "crankcase head" and found this:

img3539.jpg

Does this stop water from getting into the crankcase?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Bottom Crank Seal 76 15hp

Pulled the "crankcase head" and found this:

img3539.jpg

Does this stop water from getting into the crankcase?

Used to but not any more. Seriously, I am not experienced enough on that particular motor to know. But it would certainly be true on many motors.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Used to but not any more. Seriously, I am not experienced enough on that particular motor to know. But it would certainly be true on many motors.

Dealer is gonna love me, I've got a shopping list of parts for this thing.

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade

yeah, one of my 6hps has that thing in there too. I dont know why one does and the others don't.

anyway, look at shop.evinrude.com for parts.

I was charged $67 for a pump kit, + $10 shipping

the web site had it for $30 + $7.95 shipping.

Check iboat too!

...also, order a few things at once, that way you only have one shipping charge.

rjezuit

Chief Petty Officer

It's called lip seal. The spring is called a garter spring, it is used to seal things in or out, depending on the direction it is facing. Rick

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Dealers are a rip off.

It really isn't fair to say that. I have a dealer that gives me a discount and doesn't charge any extra or shipping charge when he has to special order the part---which is almost always since I only work on old stuff. BUT, I go in armed with the part numbers I need. He doesn't have to spend 20 minutes looking up some obscure, obsolete part. Just like any other field, there are crooks and there are guys that will appreciate you. BTW, iboats is a good place to buy.

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It really isn't fair to say that. I have a dealer that gives me a discount ...

Agreed, and statement withdrawn.

I have something similar with one local dealer, always a discount, never too high, always helps out. problem is- he isn't and OMC dealer anymore, and can no longer get parts. So I have to take most of my business elsewhere, and I hate it.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

All depends on the dealer, one dealer charges me $12 shipping to bring in OMC parts, the other eats the cost and gets my money.