1996 maxum 2400 not getting up on plane-help

davevaill

Recruit
hi all , i am considering buying a 1996 maxum 2400scr cruiser, the price is right but when i took it out for a sea trial today it would not get up on plane?? it has a 5.7l mercruiser alpha 1 and has 350 hrs on the meter, it's a stock set up. the engine sounds good and idles nice, we got up to 3600 rpm and it wouldn't get up on plane only 2 of us on board and he even went to the bow to try to get it up! it has been sitting for 9 months with no use except to start the engines and it is moored in salt water outside of seattle (moderately cold weather ) . could bottom barnicles etc. be the cause or?? any ideas? the sale price is 10k with a roller galv trailer. any ideas?
thanks
dave

madurodave

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1996 maxum 2400 not getting up on plane-help

have you done a compression test? That's a lot of coin to drop. If your not mechanically inclined, hire a mechanic to check it out...at the very least. And you asked before you bought it. I have learned a lot here...unfortunatley some important stuff, AFTER my purchase ;) Good luck

Bluepike

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You may have provided the answer in your questions. Stuff growing on the hull can definately keep the boat from getting on plane from the drag. Picture a boat with shag carpeting covering the hull. Nine months is a long time for things to grow.

Having growth around the outdrive can also be the culprit. It can create turbulance and allow the prop to be catching air instead of biting in to the water.

It can also be as simple as a plastic bag or other debris wrapped around the prop.

If the engine doesn't sound like it is under a load (as if it was in nuetral) it could be a spun prop hub or spun engine coupler.

As already mentioned, have a mechanic check it out or have it hauled out of the water ( at the current owner's expense of course) and take a look. That boat should be on plane at 3000RPM'S.

Hope you find the answer.

Farmernick

Recruit

Another thought, over here Ive had the secondaries on the carb seize up, where they have been sat. Would explain why not full revs. It cant Pop the boat up on the plane.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

hi all , i am considering buying a 1996 maxum 2400scr cruiser, the price is right but when i took it out for a sea trial today it would not get up on plane?? . could bottom barnicles etc. be the cause or?? any ideas? the sale price is 10k with a roller galv trailer. any ideas?
thanks
dave

Yes! Don't bother playing around with anything else until that boat is hauled and you have a chance to check the bottom, outdrive, prop and tabs. Have a few plastic paint scrapers on hand when you do. Several of the boats in my circle of acquaintances, including mine, were sluggish as hell by the end of last seaon, and all for that reason. A co-worker with a 30'-er that normally maxes out in the 35 knot range, couldn't get over 12 knots.

TilliamWe

Banned

Fouled hull can definately cause the problem. And the other big concern is that if they operated the boat with a fouled hull, for very long, Vortec Chevy engines are very suseptible to intake/exhaust valve damage. Check out the hull, and check the compression on the engine. Cylinders with "tulipped" valve will have ridiculously low compression numbers. Kinda like 0 when other cylinders are 135!

Philster

Captain

I wonder if the guy used Stabil or a similar product (he should). Nine months is a lonnng time for ethanol.

Who knows if the engine could get the fuel it required. Who knows the condition of that fuel... and all parts of the fuel system, from filters/separators to carbs/injectors (if so equipped).