Glastron V187 Swinger Rebuild

pcmpete

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just picked up a 1974 Glastron V187 Swinger with a Ford 302 and volvo drive for $100. I bought it just for the motor for another project.
DSC00002.jpg

The more I looked at the Tri-Hull the more it's lines grew on me so I decided to do a complete rebuild/restore.

I have built R/C aircraft and Helicopters from Kits and plans for over 20 years so I experience from building things from the ground up and making them work, so restoring a boat should follow similar practices and techniques.

The Project:
The first thing I did was to fire up the motor and test it's compression. All good so far, bar an idle problem that a tune-up should solve when that time comes.

All the guages work
Steering silky smooth with a nice steering wheel
Throttle/shifter cables and controls work smooth
Nav lights work.
glastron010.jpg

All these items will help the budget on the more important parts.

Speaking of the important parts, the stringers and bulkheads and anything else that 'was' made from wood is shot. I spent two hours with a hammer and shovel to remove the wood. Some people should not be allowed to play with fiberglass and wood at the same time.
glastron009.jpg

SDC10503.jpg

This is never a good sign
SDC10501.jpg

Next is to start grinding out any remaining wood from the hull, then pull the motor.

SDC10500-1.jpg

I have never done a boat rebuild before so I have a few questions/ideas I would like to run by the iBoats crew:

1. How important is it to brace the hull when the top is removed? My plan is to replace just the three stringers without the top on, (stringers go under the bow deck which is part of the top) then refit and align the top before i fit the bulkheads and floor. Is this a good idea or not?

2. Does the foam need to be replaced? There is currently foam either side of the engine and along the stringers.

3. I plan on epoxying all wood, so do I still need to use marine grade plywood or can I use outdoor plywood from Home Depot/Lowes?

I am sure I will have a lot more questions as I progress.

I am going to document my project on this thread and update photos on

Last edited:

captmello

Captain
Re: Glastron V187 Swinger Rebuild

Looks Like a big project!!:)

We've got a lot of those old Glastrons around my area, roomy and practical. And with a small V8 it should go plenty fast for you. Good to hear all the mechanicals are good. Thats half the battle as we all know.

I can't help you with your resto questions but I will be watching for your updates. I'd like to request that you link your best photos to your thread instead of just posting the link to photobucket. Too much clicking back and forth for us lazy clickers.:rolleyes:

Good Luck!!

pcmpete

Petty Officer 1st Class

The deck of the hull is in pretty good shape, with just a few minor repairs required.
SDC10498.jpg

Small crack in the bow, which I fiberglassed temporary so could lift the top deck without making it worse.
glastron003.jpg

Even the teak glovebox
glastron011.jpg

Some paint cracks and bimini holes need to be removed. I do like biminis
glastron013.jpg

mike343

Petty Officer 1st Class

Can't help at all, but our first boat was a Swinger with a 135 Johnson. Good luck.

MTribe08

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Wow...that makes my recent stringer/glasswork look professional!! I don't feel so bad now. Man, what was that??:confused:

Anyway, For my deck I went with Lowes 19/32 Outdoor Ply. 16$/sheet I will be coating both sides and edges in Poly Resin, and then laying down a layer of CSM on the bottom and probably 2 layers on the top.

Hope that helps..looks like you have quite a project on your hands.

Good luck.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That is a nice looking boat. I can see why you decided not to just part it out. Those stringers have the worst looking glass work I've ever seen!!! Would you mind resizing your pics to 640x480? You can do that right in photobucket with just a single click and you won't have to update anything on here.

jcsercsa

Captain

Cool Ride . You got your work cut out !! Lot and lots of grinding !! keep them pics comming . 640 x 480 , they fit the page !! John

captmello

Captain

1. How important is it to brace the hull when the top is removed? My plan is to replace just the three stringers without the top on, (stringers go under the bow deck which is part of the top) then refit and align the top before i fit the bulkheads and floor. Is this a good idea or not?

2. Does the foam need to be replaced? There is currently foam either side of the engine and along the stringers.

3. I plan on epoxying all wood, so do I still need to use marine grade plywood or can I use outdoor plywood from Home Depot/Lowes?

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but seems straightforward.

1. It's really important that the hull doesn't get repaired and rebuilt in a twisted or sagging shape or the cap wont go back on. I would be a little nervous about the way its just sitting on some tires now. I would refit the cap and support the hull better before glassing in new stringers and transum.

2. Some guys replace the foam, some use swimming noodles, some use closed cell sheets of foam cut to fit the voids. Up to you.

3. You can use any plywood you want. I would prefer treated but shoudl be dried out, many use standard plywood with the exterior glue stamp like BCX or ACX(I think its all done with the exterior glue now anyway).

Great pics, BTW. Just need to resize at photobucket.

Better keep those chickens out of the boat!:)

Aqualift

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Great boat, pics and project. I'll be following it for sure.

pcmpete

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Glastron V187 Swinger Rebuild - Update

Before I started grinding, cutting, pulling, hammering, kicking I decided to measure everything and create a diagram/plan and email to myself so I cannot lose it, so the rebuild should go together ok.

GlastronDiagram.jpg

The motor came out without any issues.

SDC10570.jpg

After about two hours of grinding i got 'most' of the stringers out. The center stringer looked like old timbers brought up from the depths from the Mary Rose

SDC10569.jpg

But there was enough material for me to make a template from.

SDC10567.jpg

To help hold the hull in shape while I dance around inside grinding and cutting I made up a few braces to support the side from spreading.

SDC10572.jpg

People always say that Glastrons are well built, why did they not use plywood on the motor mounts.

SDC10574.jpg

pcmpete

Petty Officer 1st Class

The transom was only glassed around the edges and not the complete transom

SDC10573.jpg

SDC10577.jpg

The front stringer channels where empty, the wood is M.I.A.

SDC10579.jpg

It is getting there, still lots of grinding to do.

SDC10575.jpg

captmello

Captain

Looks way better with all that rot out. Keep it up!!

pcmpete

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am getting close to the stage where I need to purchase new wood. The stringers are 12' but the only 12' lengths of plywood I can find locally is 2" thick by 12" at a good price. Other than that I would have to 'special order' a 12'x4' .75" sheet for over $100 per sheet. So my thinking is, I could use the 2" thick plywood for the stringers, this would result in stronger stringers and money saved. I know this would be overkill and will add a small amount of weight overall (but less than water logged foam ;) ), but my pocket likes the idea :D
What do you iboats builders/restorers think?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

People always say that Glastrons are well built

No, actually they don't. Now you see why. They were certainly sharp looking but not very well built. The new ones are MUCH better.

Nice work by the way.

captmello

Captain

I am getting close to the stage where I need to purchase new wood. The stringers are 12' but the only 12' lengths of plywood I can find locally is 2" thick by 12" at a good price. Other than that I would have to 'special order' a 12'x4' .75" sheet for over $100 per sheet. So my thinking is, I could use the 2" thick plywood for the stringers, this would result in stronger stringers and money saved. I know this would be overkill and will add a small amount of weight overall (but less than water logged foam ;) ), but my pocket likes the idea :D
What do you iboats builders/restorers think?

Your talking about using LVL headers for stringers which is way overkill and heavy. I think I'd laminate some strips of half inch plywood together. Use 8 foot strips and 4 foot strips and glue and screw them together with PL then glass them and they'll be plenty strong. That's what I'll be doing next winter. Your a year ahead of me.:)

pcmpete

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Glastron V187 Swinger Rebuild - Transom removal

It's transom time. All I can say is WOW. I was able to remove most of the wood between the transom shield cutout and bottom of the transom with just a flat blade screwdriver :eek:

SDC10584.jpg

The original transom shape has me a bit concerned. There is only approx one inch of wood between the top of the cutout and the top of the transom's wood.
I know that this design has lasted for over 30 years with no issues, but to me looks like a weak point. So to keep myself happy I am going to redesign the top of the transom so there is more 'meat'.

newtransomlayout.jpg

With the design of the fiberglass outer I can raise the transom shape approx 3 inches in the middle.

Robert4Winns

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's transom time. All I can say is WOW. I was able to remove most of the wood between the transom shield cutout and bottom of the transom with just a flat blade screwdriver :eek:

That looks familiar. Mine was the same way. I used a shop vac to remove that part on mine.
Looks like you have a good plan and are making good progress.