1930's?

rwfarell1498

Recruit
i recently came across a old evinrude with a model number that reads 4153-0080...this is all i kno about this motor any info would be good...thanks..

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral
Re: 1930's?

That's a 1936 Evinrude Lightwin, 4.7 hp.
acmeoutboards.com has service manuals going back that far.

rwfarell1498

Recruit

that is good...i cant find a pic anywhere of a restored one...it has a tank of some kind under the gas tank with a large cap on it...im not too sure what goes in here there is oily residue in it..i just dont wanna start the engine if this is supposed to hold lubrication..and i need a prop.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

That is most likely the muffler can. The oil is mixed with the gas. The mix for that motor is 24:1.
According to your serial number, that is the 80th motor under that model number. Pretty cool. I had a Zephyr that was number 66 of the 4404 model:D

This motor may have a water pump, so you should be safe to test run it, without a prop. Just don't rev it up.

rwfarell1498

Recruit

thank you....that's a big help...just a question...back in 1936 the oil they used wasn't near the oil we have now...do i still have to run 24:1. or can i run lighter...not that it matters much just want to kno so i don't ruin things...and should i be safe to just put it into the water and start er up and feel for the water to go through the lines into the cylinders...or should i be checking the water pump..cuz the more i read it had a piston pump not an impeller...sorry for all the ? i really don't wanna fry it..better safe than sorry...thanks

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Questions are fine. I'm happy to help with a classic, such as this:D

I would still run it at 24:1, reguardless of the new kind of oils of the current times. It will only be better for your engine.

As far as the water pump. Keep a feel of the heads and make sure they don't get hot while you're running it. If it's a piston pump, then I would spray it down with WD-40, before you crank it over and get it working nice and free. Pull the spark plugs, before you do this and spray a bunch in the cylinders too. Crank it over several times to get it all worked inside of it. After you do that, then lay it on it's back and dump about a cup of fuel mix into the carb and spin it over slowly. That will get the crank and rods all nice and lubed up and spinning free again. The lower unit may need to be recharged with fresh grease again. I like to use the white grease (Lubri-Plate 105 Lower unit Grease) for gear cases like that.:cool:

You might want to pull the flywheel and clean and lube the points good. Set the points at .020 and check and make sure you have good spark.

By now, your motor may be ready to fire, once you put fresh fuel mix in the tank:D

Let us know what happens.:cool:

wbeaton

Commander

I'm not familiar with this outboard. However, someone over at aomci.org will likely have a photo they can post. I too would stick with 24:1. Synthetic oil will smoke much less and is biodegradable.