Help! Information on boat.

Caravandaddy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm sure I'm not the first guy to go off the deep end and get a boat he knows nothing about. However, for $150.00, including the trailer, I couldn't pass it up.

According to the owner it's a 17'6" 1969 Sea Star. Anybody know anything about this boat? Here are some pics.

I haven't picked it up yet, so that's all I know.

From the pictures the hull looks to be in decent shape. I'm concerned about the deck. Obviously it will need new seats. The outboard is not included, nor are the controls. I plan to add these after I get the boat in ship shape (haha).

Let me know if I'm crazy, as my wife suspects and any other problems you all can foresee. I've been trolling the forums and have already come up with some ideas and potential horrors.

Thanks,

Attachments

• starboard side.JPG
    starboard side.JPG
    15 KB · Views: 0
  • port side.JPG
    port side.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 0
  • inside.JPG
    inside.JPG
    14.6 KB · Views: 0

Jeep Man

Commander
Re: Help! Information on boat.

Hope for the best and expect the worst. It doesn't look good due to the fact it appears to have been left out in the elements for some time. Spend a Saturday ripping up the floor, check the transom and the stringers. Then decide how much time you want to put into bringing it back. Everything can be fixed.
Worst case scenario, you loose a Saturday and you sell the trailer for more than you paid for the boat. Check out the Restoration section for good info, and Good Luck. Keep your chin up.

mike343

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks like the trailertires might be flat!!!!!!!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Did it come with a motor?

Caravandaddy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

No. The outboard and controls are not included. He has a 100hp Evinrude and controls for sale; but I don't have the cash.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

consider the $150 a deposit on a $5,000 boat. Dump it if it's bad and lose the deposit.
Before you do anything pick out your motor and factor in its cost, including controls and mounting, and tune-up if you by used. I'd guess you want a 115; it looks too heavy for a 70 (I have on a 17'); maybe a 90. Others?

rbh

Fleet Admiral

You will have a nice tandem axle trailer, if anything. :)