How to make a boat offer

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Its a good time for me to be a boat Buyer finally. I mean I finally have 7k in the bank to go used boat shopping.

As I going on my shopping spree I notice a trend here. NADA prices are a couple thousand under the asking price of most boats.

So how do a make a boat offer well below under asking price? Do I show them the NADA estimated Value to use as ammo for my offer price?

BTW I live in AZ if that makes any difference.

Thanks.

David

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: How to make a boat offer

I guess I should have done a search. I found a few topics discussing Nada Pricing.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

I guess I should have done a search. I found a few topics discussing Nada Pricing.

The key to making a good deal on anything is to decide what's it's worth to you, make your offer,... and be prepared to simply walk away from it if the seller isn't interested. You'd be amazed at how many people get a call back from the seller weeks later.

The time to fall in love with a boat is after the deal, not before.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

The key to making a good deal on anything is to decide what's it's worth to you, make your offer,... and be prepared to simply walk away from it if the seller isn't interested. You'd be amazed at how many people get a call back from the seller weeks later.

The time to fall in love with a boat is after the deal, not before.

Oh, and just for the record, no matter what you end up buying, for whatever price, 1/3 of the members will tell you it was a steal, 1/3 will tell you the price was fair, and 1/3 will tell you you got hosed :D

QC

Supreme Mariner

You got hosed . . . :eek: :p

24kboater

Recruit

I am in the same as you. I have found that there have been boats in the 10k range and they would take 7 for it. I tend to think people raise the price knowing people will low ball. Remember all they can say is no but when they see the cash in head that no turns to yes very fast.

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

There is no way NADA will compensate or all the different areas of the country. Therefore, you have to do your homework, as Bubba suggested. Use craigslist. Boattrader from private owners. Find a boat you want and compare it with others for sale.

I have bought/sold/helped others buy five boats in the past two years.

There have been several good bargains, but you have to know what you want and compare that one to others. Apples for apples as they say.

I found my boats by following ads daily, sometimes two or three times a day. Most all offers I made were in the first day they were listed. Here in the Tampa area, we have one of the largest craigslist for boats in the country, so lots of them get listed. By spending time watching ads, I knew the good ones when they came along..

How about an '03 ProLine 20' DC with a 150 Merc with 300 hrs, trailer and normal electronics for $9700...

Or an '02 KeyWest 2020 DC 150 Yamaha 108 hrs, aluminum trailer for $11,500..

Those deals are out there, but you have to be one of the first to call..

Good luck! Sorry for the long post....:)

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

nada is almost usless. a lot of the owners of newer boats are "up side down" in there boats. they owe more than they are worth or actually selling for. i saw a $1,000,000 yacht as a repo.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the selling price of a boat is the price someone is willing to pay at that certain minute.

86 century

Ensign

I will start with an offer at half of the asking price. I have found that most poeple will take much less after a month. Yes i am that low ball guy.

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks for all the thoughts. After all my research which have been several months. I should be able to get into a decent lake ready boat under 7k

KeyWestSkipper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Place a boat-wanted ad describing the most impt features you want and what you're willing to pay. Then you and the seller are already in the ballpark when the negotiations start. Plus, there are always more boats for sale than posted; sellers drag their feet for various reasons, especially the guys who babied their boat and are reluctant to part with it. That's the kind of seller you want to find. Make it easy for them to find you and you'll get first crack at a nice boat for what you want to spend. The key is that boat-wanted ad IMHO.

jfadool

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Cash in hand is your friend when buying anything. But before you show up anywhere with cash know what you are looking for in a boat. But when you know and find what you want bring someone knowledgeable and as everyone has said Don't Be Scared to Walk.

As a seller I know I hate when people ask "what is the lowest you will take?" It is a useless question, get strait to the point and make an offer of what you want to pay. If you get a reasonable seller they will counter or accept.