battery perko switch

RLT III

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was wondering if i can crank on 2 get to speed then switch through ALL to 1(troll motor batt) to charge as were moving

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: battery perko switch

depends on the type switch, continuous contact you can, but if it is not continuous contact, you will blow your stator. moving to electrical.

RLT III

Petty Officer 2nd Class

it's a perko and has switch that shows 0,1,all,2 a selector i guess just got this boat 1st time owner (GREEN)

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I'm not sure you can even buy a switch that is NOT a make-before-break style any longer. Current switches do make one set of contacts before they break the last so this is not an issue. Don't know what you mean to "speed" but will assume you mean you just start the engine on "2" and then switch to "1" or "both" to charge both batteries or just the troller. The answer is yes. Actually, it is not necessary to ever switch off of BOTH unless you are parked with accessories running or unless you leave the boat for an extended period. It just eliminates lots of switching. Typically BAT 1 is the starting battery and BAT 2 is the house or troller battery. Start on 1, switch to BOTH underway. Or switch to 2 if you know BAT 2 is run down. This will put the full alternator output into that battery. The switch offers great versatility -- you just need to understand what it can and cannot do for you.

RLT III

Petty Officer 2nd Class

THANKS SILVER TIP the other guy said it would blow my stator but i kept researching and it is a perko 8501 and it should do like you said. I want to insure that i don't have to break out the rope and crank my 50 as i learned last wknd with one batt after i trolled around so i bought a new batt today for that and sounds like i can watch the volts on my depth finder hooked to cranking batt and as long as its above 11.5 i'm charging the troll batt

Your Great

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Say what????? If you have the switch set to BOTH and are monitoring the voltage with the locator, you are looking at a fairly discharged PAIR of batteries. In the BOTH position both will charge and both are being used to power stuff. When you are trolling, switch to the troller battery -- not BOTH. See what I mean about understanding what the switch can and cannot do for you. Whatever battery/batteries you have selected is what is being charged, and what is also powering all the stuff. Every item on your boat except the bilge pump should be connected to the COM terminal, not the individual batteries or you defeat the purpose of the switch.

RLT III

Petty Officer 2nd Class

okay guess i did not explain it correctly. I went out last week with 1 batt . used troll motor and dropped volts to 10 on fish finder ok it would not turn over enough to crank so i rope started and did not use it again
I got a new batt today and hooked it up to batt 1 for troll and i'll use 2 for cranking and have my fish finder hooked directly to that batt to watch it's volts so i can insure i can crank then charge it if needed between moving or the troll which will probably happen most but never the both cause there different in age am i correct here you got me worried now
I know the motor needs atleast 11 or more to crank so i got another batt

Last edited:

camm11

Cadet

Just don't go THROUGH the OFF position when switching and you will be OK

jhebert

Ensign
Re: Battery Switch Movement While Engine Is Running

Re: Battery Switch Movement While Engine Is Running

When an engine is running and its charger circuit is delivering charging current to a battery, it is very strongly recommended that the battery not be disconnected from the engine. Such a disconnection can occur if there is a battery selector switch and either of the following occurs:

--the battery switch contacts are break-before-make and create an open circuit when moving between positions

--the battery switch is moved through the OFF position

If neither of these situations apply, you generally can move the position of the battery switch while the engine is running without fear of creating a momentary open circuit which would disconnect the battery from the engine's charging circuit.

Seon

Petty Officer 1st Class

okay guess i did not explain it correctly. I went out last week with 1 batt . used troll motor and dropped volts to 10 on fish finder ok it would not turn over enough to crank so i rope started and did not use it again..

Wire your Perko switch like this.

StandardBatterySwitchWiring.jpg

Then connect your trolling motor directly to #2 battery's "+" and "-" post.
NOT TO THE SWITCH

Keep your Perko switch on #1 battery for starting and while underway.

Your trolling motor will be feeding off #2 battery and won't drain #1 battery.

When you want to charge both batteries, place the Perko switch to "all" while underway.

Caution: Be sure you to return the switch back to #1 otherwise if kept on "all" while trolling, it'll feed off both battery and possibly drain both batteries.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

on a boat with a small engine it really makes no sense to even install a switch as the motor does not have an alternator large enough to keep two batteries topped off, especially when one of them is a troller battery. If you ran the troller at full speed for an hour you would pull roughly 50 amps from the battery. A 40/50HP electric start motor typically has a 12 - 16 amp alternator. So with just those numbers you would need to run wide open for three hourse to top off just the troller.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

RTL III
Just so you know a normal battery voltage is 12.6 volts. When it reads 11 volts it is very near dead.
Normal voltage while charging is 13.8 to 14.8 volts.
Is your alternator even charging? I would make sure before I made any long trips.
If battery 1 is the starting battery put switch in one and before starting check your voltage.
It should be 12.6 volts.
Start engine and watch the voltage, it should clime to 13.8 volts in a few minutes if the alternator
is working and your turning at least 1000 rpms.

If it does not clime then the alternator is bad or there is a problem with the battery.
If you have a home charger try charging at home and also watch your voltage.
Most automatic chargers will charge to 14.8 volts.
Battery maintainers will usually run at least 13.2 volts.

If your battery had a dead cell then the voltage would be 10.5 volts.

I assume your switch says on it to not turn to off with the motor running.
If it is turned off with motor running most alternators will blow diodes in a fraction of a second.
A small outboard may be a little more forgiving.
Anyway fully charge your battery at home and check the voltage after charging.
If is is less than 12.0 volts then your battery is likely bad unless your in a very cold climite.

One more tip at the end of your trip always charge both batteries fully or their life will not be long.