OMC Cobra conversion to Merc lower - SEI

erikgreen

Captain
Not sure how many of you have seen this, or if anyone's tried it, but it looks like SEI is doing the things that Merc should have done years ago. Now they have a conversion kit that lets you use an OMC cobra engine and bell housing with one of SEI's Alpha 2 compatible lower units. So for about $1800 you can get a partially new bell housing and a brand new lower unit that will work with your OMC engine setup. No more nursing the old OMC lower unit along.

Nice to have another option.

http://www.sterndrive.cc/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=9D-116&Category_Code=Cobra

Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with SEI, I'm just happy they're around and offering an alternative to Mercruiser/Yamaha/etc parts at a reasonable price.

Erik

havasuboatman

Ensign
Re: OMC Cobra conversion to Merc lower - SEI

Why should Mercruiser have done this a long time ago? They have no reason to adapt their drive to OMC's transom. They have their own.
Would you expect Ford to make a conversion for a GM transmission?
Conversions are dreamed up by nut jobs like us :) and are, naturally, completed by the good folks in aftermarket. Like say SEI for instance.

erikgreen

Captain

Mercruiser should have been more flexible a long time ago in adapting their drives to a wider audience, they'd be making a lot more cash now if they had, and we'd all be better off technology wise.

The automakers are a bad example, they're even worse than Mercruiser in finding something people will pay for then sitting on it and price gouging customers for old technology. If it wasn't for the Asian competition in the 70s and 80s the automakers would still be selling badly made 1950s technology cars and charging the same prices.

The sterndrive design hasn't changed substantially since the 60s. How much better drives might we have now, lower maintenance and higher efficiency, if development had continued?

If Merc had been smart they would have offered ways to convert OMC and Volvo drives to Merc, offered a different drive model that's more solidly/expensively built for more money, offered add-on parts for later upgrades like car speed shops, etc. Or maybe offered an easy way to upgrade to newer drive models or attach the drives more easily to different engines.

Instead of sharing the market with VP for sterndrives and other mfgs for Outboards they might be dominating a wider market, making even more money and selling better products than they are (and as a side effect being more stable as a company).

It's almost like the legacy of Kiekhafer continues... he was only dragged kicking and screaming into the sterndrive market because his head engineer (Charlie Strang) secretly gave the sterndrive design to a former coworker who gave it to Volvo Penta, who then succeeded with it so Mercury had to keep up or lose business.

SEI existing is good, they're competition for Mercruiser... given time I'm sure they'll release a complete drive system that's comparable or better quality to Mercruiser for less cash... it's not like Mercruiser is innovating in the low end of the market, it should be pretty easy to come up with something better that they can sell for less money.

It used to be they just offered sterndrive lower unit replacements.. but now you can get most sterndrive parts, trim parts, outboard lower halves, props, and now this conversion kit. They're moving in the right direction, definitely. A quality product for a fair price.

Erik

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

SEI existing is good, they're competition for Mercruiser... given time I'm sure they'll release a complete drive system that's comparable or better quality to Mercruiser for less cash... it's not like Mercruiser is innovating in the low end of the market, it should be pretty easy to come up with something better that they can sell for less money.

It IS "good"!!

It's also called competition! It will also force Mercruiser AND Volvo to to be more competitive and ultimately produce better products!....... And that's ALWAYS good!!

Cheers,

Rick

TilliamWe

Banned

Would you expect Ford to make a conversion for a GM transmission?...

Well, considering Ford and GM build 6 speed automatic transmissions in a joint venture, and have for about 3 years now, how's that any different? Mercruiser could have easily come up with this conversion as soon as OMC was out of business, and been reaping the profits for years now. But they chose not to. Glad SEI did!

SEI has done a HUGE favor to anyone with an OMC Cobra. Whether they want to repair theirs or sell the boat, it's now no longer a Death Sentence to have an OMC Cobra outdrive on your boat.

Bondo

Staff member

Mercruiser should have been more flexible a long time ago in adapting their drives to a wider audience, they'd be making a lot more cash now if they had, and we'd all be better off technology wise.

Ayuh,.... I think you're lookin' at this, pretty much askBackwards.....

Why would Merc wanta adapt to anybody's technology, when the entire industry has adapated to Mercruiser,..??

There used to be a 1/2 a Zillion different holes cut in transoms of hulls for the various drives,....
How many patterns are in use Today,..??..??
I think you'll find only 1,.... The Mercruiser keyhole....

TilliamWe

Banned

Why would Merc wanta adapt to anybody's technology, when the entire industry has adapated to Mercruiser,..??

What you say is 100% right and the way most companies do business. But a company that was truly looking to get "new" customers could have made the effort that SEI has.
Sure Mercuiser thought, "why make a conversion? We'll sell complete transom assemblies and drive to those people." When in actuality what happened is people either scrapped the boats and bought NO Mercruiser products at all, or bought a USED boat, with a Mercruiser drive and converted it themselves. But most people sure didn't buy complete transom assemblies from Mercruiser.

Now, SEI will sell more of the product they make. Good for them.

erikgreen

Captain

What you say is 100% right and the way most companies do business. But a company that was truly looking to get "new" customers could have made the effort that SEI has.
Sure Mercuiser thought, "why make a conversion? We'll sell complete transom assemblies and drive to those people." When in actuality what happened is people either scrapped the boats and bought NO Mercruiser products at all, or bought a USED boat, with a Mercruiser drive and converted it themselves. But most people sure didn't buy complete transom assemblies from Mercruiser.

Yeah, I was gonna type this exact thing. Mercruiser has long thought "why should we make a conversion, everyone will just use our drives"... after all, there's no risk if they don't.. people have no other option except to buy a complete drive from them or volvo (at comparable prices).

Boat manufacturers (and Mercruiser) don't want people to have old boats that work well.... they want boats to be disposable, so people buy new ones, and they make more money (there's a lot of holes in their thinking, but they're living in the past). Never mind the market of people who can't or won't ever buy a new boat, they see that as where the money is.

What SEI has remembered is that serving the customer is a great way to make money and grow your company. Make what people want to buy instead of forcing them to buy what you want to sell and you'll do well.

IBM learned this to their cost when they released the PS/2 series of computers back in the 80s.. they purposely broke compatibility with the "clone PC" makers to try to control the market and raise prices to get the margins they wanted. Almost overnight IBM's market dominance went away and "compatible" computers became the standard. IBM lost Billions and never regained market control (or even significant participation).

That hasn't happened to Mercruiser and may not, but if SEI comes out with a new, sturdy, reliable drive that's cheaper than Merc, it's going to hurt Merc's bottom line in a time when they can't afford the hurt.

And if they can't keep up and sell a better product than the new upstarts despite the fact they have decades of experience more than SEI designing, building and selling sterndrives, they deserve to lose money.

Bond-o said:
Quote:
Ayuh,.... I think you're lookin' at this, pretty much askBackwards.....

Because A) they'd make more money and B) they'd have less risk.

Having domination of the market lets them make a lot of money without spending much in research and development, and maximizes profits for the least effort. But too much of that and the company becomes complacent, they lose the staff, teams, and mindset that lets them compete with more development oriented companies, and eventually they lose dominance. If your company's whole business is based on market dominance and suddenly you lose it, you're in big trouble, and depending on what you do there may not be enough time to recover.

So Mercruiser should have adapted to other companies' technology long ago if they wanted to stay in business long term. Right now SEI just makes spare parts... but you can bet money they already have more engineers at work than Mercruiser does... once they finish designing spare parts (or alternatively reading/measuring other manufacturers' designs), it's a small change for them to design something new and better.

For Mercruiser, it may take a major shakeup to get back into development.... and they may not have the time.

Erik

PS: Don't forget Mercruiser is a union shop, too. That decreases their agility a lot. They may be required by contract to re-task old employees to fill positions before hiring new. Have you ever tried to re-train a factory worker to be a mechanical engineer?

havasuboatman

Ensign

I am all for SEI, but using your logic, why didn't SEI just build a replacement Cobra drive?
Most people didn't buy a whole new Merc system for their boat. They bought a new boat, probably with a Merc. package.
The percentage of people that would accept their boat being put together like that are pretty low. I'm not saying that because I think SEI's kit isn't a good one, having never seen one personally, I don't have an opinion either way, I have used a couple of their drives without complaint.
The reason there is such a strong arguement for it here is simple. The people who use this site tend to be more mechanically inclined and used to doing things for themselves.
I would be interested in hearing from those of you that have used them. Especially if you are in the boat repair business.
Please, P/M me with you opinions of the kit.

TilliamWe

Banned

I am all for SEI, but using your logic, why didn't SEI just build a replacement Cobra drive?...

To an extent I understand your point, but just think for a minute as to why they didn't build a Cobra. The outdrive isn't the only thing that is No Longer Available. Sure, if everything else for an OMC Cobra could be found, they should have made a Cobra clone. But considering how "few" Cobras there are in relation to Alphas, that would not make sense either. Converting it to a product still in production was/is the way to go.

I have no experience with this kit. I did see, on here, someone who bought one and it worked, as advertised.

Bondo

Staff member

For Mercruiser, it may take a major shakeup to get back into development.... and they may not have the time.

PS: Don't forget Mercruiser is a union shop, too.

Huh,..?? Is lake X closed,..?? Mercrury Racing has folded,..??

Mercruiser Owns the north american market,... Hands down...
They could be like Government Motors,+ try to do Everything for Everybody I suppose...:rolleyes:

Mercruiser is to SEI, as Vs. GM is to Edlebrock, or a million other SBC Aftermarket Co.s....
I'm just danm Glad, somebody figured out their business model,+ ran with it....

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

Well GLM already makes a complete replacement Cobra drive...and Sierra makes a replacement upper unit for it and I bet they will come out with a lower sooner or later because the Cobra lowers were VERY similar to the popular OMC outboard V-6 outboard lowers (which incidentally SEI is already selling)....I'd perfer to keep my boat a Cobra because I've had good luck with it. I researched the Volvo conversion and while good it's just too expensive unless you get the drive for a great price...the SEI conversion sounds great...I'd love to see how one shifts compared to the standard Cobra but at the price it's offered...you really can't do better. Even the GLM Cobra clone is probably twice as expensive as the whole SEI conversion including the drive....

havasuboatman

Ensign

Huh,..?? Is lake X closed,..?? Mercrury Racing has folded,..??

Mercruiser Owns the north american market,... Hands down...
They could be like Government Motors,+ try to do Everything for Everybody I suppose...:rolleyes:

Mercruiser is to SEI, as Vs. GM is to Edlebrock, or a million other SBC Aftermarket Co.s....
I'm just danm Glad, somebody figured out their business model,+ ran with it....

Ayuh... :)

First of all, many thanks for all of the kind words about SEI. I am very proud of the hard working employees that have made SEI what it is today. It?s nice to read all of the positive feedback about our products and customer service.

As for the conversion kit, I thought some of you might enjoy knowing more about the history of the product. While we would love to take credit for the idea, that would not be fair. Last year we were contacted by two boating enthusiast, Chris West and Mike Boehm, who claimed they had figured out how to do the conversion and actually had a prototype on a lake in Tennessee. Since we had talked about such a product on occasion and knew it would be a good strategic fit for SEI, we were immediately interested and schedule a visit to see the drive. We were impressed with what we saw and knew that we could commercialize the kit at a very attractive price. Chris and Mike and already filed for a patent pending status so we bought the technology from them and finished the patent process. Six months later, we were manufacturing the kit had it available for sale.

I?ll watch this thread for a while if any of you have any more questions about the kit or SEI. If the questions get too deep, I?ll have some of our technical guys chime in. Also, I know Chris is on this forum from time to time and has probably seen this thread..

Greg Pickren
President and Owner
SEI

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Thanks Greg,... We always Love it when the Real movers,+ shakers stop by to explain things,...
Kudos to ya for doin' what you do...

The Only,+ I mean Only bad-mouthing of your products has come from Merc. dealers,+ techs who can't even Rebuild a drive for what you sell 'em, Brand New for....
We had another thread about these conversions a few months ago,...
Chris was right in the thick of it, explainin' all that needed explainin'...

Keep up the Great work you're doin'......

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Greg,

Thanks for the update and explanation!!

Ultimately, free enterprise is what drives ANY industry and ALL are better off for it!!

Cheers,

Rick

Ducatinut

Seaman Apprentice

Why should Mercruiser have done this a long time ago? They have no reason to adapt their drive to OMC's transom. They have their own.
Would you expect Ford to make a conversion for a GM transmission?
Conversions are dreamed up by nut jobs like us :) and are, naturally, completed by the good folks in aftermarket. Like say SEI for instance.

Uh, huh, I'm one of the "nuts" in this particular case.

But, if not for SEI and their *correctly* priced drives, the conversion would not be economically feasible (trust me, I ran the numbers every which way). We decided to approach SEI because they've had the gumption (nuttiness??) to confront the status quo in the past and do the job right. We wanted to see the product hit the market to help other folks who have had that horrible feeling as their boating season falls apart with that old Cobra drive...

It was a really fun and rewarding project - from start to finish. Getting back on the water was the primary goal and the bonus of working with the good folks from SEI was icing on the cake. I can't say enough good things about them - they're true pros and stand by their products.

By the way, Greg, Toy Problem is still living in the water in Tennessee and, soon, will be starting up another season with the conversion kit on her. That phone call is still paying dividends (and thanks for the braving the horrible weather that weekend!).

Fair winds,

Chris

shep247

Seaman

I'm in the final stages of installing this kit as we speak. I got ripped off when a guy sold me a boat with a pretty messed up cobra. It was going to be ~$2k with labor to get that drive repaired (12 parts were bad), or I could just buy this brand new drive with a 3 year warranty for $1700, and install it myself.

I'm actually on here right now to ask another noob question for my installation. I have a thread for it already (should be close to the top so I won't link). This is my first mechanical project of this proportion ever, and I've worked myself through it with help from SEI's tech dept. and the guys on here. A far as the kit INSTALLATION goes, they give you everything you need to make it happen. There's no "oh go buy this other thing that costs a lot that we didn't include" other than a mercruiser prop. I've also called them 3 or 4 times for questions, and they're always nice and very helpful. The instructions could use a little help, and I actually wouldn't mind editing the instructions for them to make them more newbie friendly, but with the few questions I've had, I can't really complain too much.

I can't honestly speak for its function yet. I will be able to in 2 or 3 weeks though, when I get done and test it at the lake. Its taking me a while because I'm going REALLY slow, checking and double checking everything because I know that I don't really know what I'm doing. I'll bet if I had to do it again though, I could probably get to the point I'm at (last step) in maybe 8 hours or less.

So, so far, I'm giving the conversion process for the DIYer a great review. I've learned a ton, and its kinda fun sitting in the garage trying to dig myself out of this burned out Cobra purchase mistake. With their included instructions, I feel like I'm a kid putting together plastic models again, but maybe that's just the smell of the bellows adhesive.