Which is a better 4 stroke 50hp engine to buy new??

Which is a better 4 stroke 50hp engine to buy new??

• Evinrude E Tech

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • Yamaha

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Suzuki

Votes: 2 13.3%

• Total voters

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Which is a better 4 stroke 50hp engine to buy new??

The E-tech isn't a 4 stroke.............

jash1178

Seaman

Really, did not know that, thanks.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Depends on a lot of info you have not supplied, like what dealers are nearby, what warranty.

Also, you left out Honda and Merc.

I would buy the ETEC, but if I had to have a 4 stroke it would be a Suzi.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Poorly phrased survey that does not include Mercury, includes E-tec which is a two stroke, and since E-tec is included, why not include Tohatsu. Asking which is better should also include better for what! Every engine is not necessarily the best choice in every boating application.

Expidia

Commander

If you're looking for future resale value and easy access to a huge local dealer network I'd cast my vote for Mercury. Yamaha dealers can be spotty depending where you are located.

Other than some weight issue differences once you get into the EFI models they are all pretty much the same to me. Do the proper maintenance and they will all do the job.

I based my own buying decision on my first sentence and I'm buying a 200 hp Mercury Verado as soon as I find my next bigger boat. I'll pass my 40hp rig down to my kids. Can't see ever selling a good boat and O/B.

Of course, the Etec being in a 2 stroke league is a different animal. Low in maintenance but If I owned one, I would worry that it's so far advanced in it's technology that I'd have concerns with letting local inept tech's working on it. I watch the guys at my local dealer working on o/b's . . . if they need a wrench to fit a bolt head I've seen them pull a pair of pump pliers out of their back pocket and buggy the bolt head up because they are too lazy or knowledgeable to walk back in the shop for the proper wrench.

I'd be nervous letting anyone touch my Etec if I owned one :D

That 50 HP Yamaha 4 stroke on this thread and pops up on the right side as an ad for a 2009 at $4300 (maybe no tax) with power tilt and trim and a 20 inch shaft looks sweeeet too! I found it's about $1000 for each 10HP. But you can save even more if you buy a package deal or a left over o/b when the boat shows come around in a few months.

reelfishin

Captain

I'd pretty much have to look at local availability and then weight vs. hp ratings. As far as reliability they all seem to be about equal these days.

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

I love how more than 70% of people chose the 2-STROKE!