1988 18' Marlin Boat-Soft Floor in one spot

Waffles

Recruit
Okay guys, I took the plunge and bought a used boat. The floor has a soft spot and it has me worried. I knew this when I bought it thinking I can just replace the spot with some new marine plywood and be good to go but after reading some of these posts....well I am worried!!!!

I inspected the stringers in the hull from every possible point (inboard/outdrive motor) and everything looks great...the fiberglass looked fantastic. Obviously I can't see everything under the floor but from what I could see, most around the motor, it all looked real solid. This boat has no leaks and the transom is solid.

Couple of questions:

Does this boat have wood in the stringers or is it all fiberglass stringers?
The floor is vinyl wrapped. Does this mean it is just plywood with vinyl over it or do you think the plywood was epoxied when it was manufactured?
I think the hull is a foam injected hull? How do I tell if it is?

Am I out of my mind for buying this boat? :)

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1988 18' Marlin Boat-Soft Floor in one spot

In my expirence if you have 1 soft spot in deck the rest of the deck is not far behind. If it were me i would go ahead and replace the deck, take a good look at the stringers and get her ready for the summer.

Just my 2 cents.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Waffles,
Welcome to Iboats.
Pictures would help everyone help you.
I wouldn't worry yet. You really don't know how bad the damage is yet. The time to worry is if you wake up in the morning and the boat is gone. Pretty much everything else can be fixed.
I would start by removing the damaged area and explore to see what you have. Check your stringers and transom really well.
I thought my transom was good until I got the transom assembly off and realized it was gone. You are among friends here and everyone will do everything possible to help you do anything you need to.
More then likely you will need to replace all of your deck and more, but you need to explore and then you aren't guessing.
Good luck
Bob

Waffles

Recruit

Sounds like good advice. I am bringing the boat home this weekend and I will see if I can get some pictures.

iqxoqlms

Seaman

Don't feel bad - it happens to a lot of us. I bought a "good old" Ski Supreme ski boat 10 days ago for what I thought was a really good price. I have never owned a v-drive boat and researched before buying. I checked the deck and stringers and was OK with the condition. Deck was soft in spots and where I poked the stringers seemed OK (not great). I got this thing home, started digging into it more and it is a borderline basked-case. Deck has been reskinned with 3/4" ply and recarpeted. Noting below was ever repaired - just covered up. Newbie missed it on inspection. Stringers have many bad spots.

So - tonight the engine comes out so that I can begin the repairs. New stringers, deck, carpet, etc. I will certainly get a self-education on boat rebuilding in the coming months.

I attached a couple of pictures. I have to say this forums have been ENORMOUSLY helpful in figuring out what to do and how to do it.

Attachments

• Ski Supreme 001.jpg
    Ski Supreme 001.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Ski Supreme 002.jpg
    Ski Supreme 002.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Ski Supreme 013.jpg
    Ski Supreme 013.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 0

MTribe08

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Don't feel bad - it happens to a lot of us. I bought a "good old" Ski Supreme ski boat 10 days ago for what I thought was a really good price. I have never owned a v-drive boat and researched before buying. I checked the deck and stringers and was OK with the condition. Deck was soft in spots and where I poked the stringers seemed OK (not great). I got this thing home, started digging into it more and it is a borderline basked-case. Deck has been reskinned with 3/4" ply and recarpeted. Noting below was ever repaired - just covered up. Newbie missed it on inspection. Stringers have many bad spots.

So - tonight the engine comes out so that I can begin the repairs. New stringers, deck, carpet, etc. I will certainly get a self-education on boat rebuilding in the coming months.

I attached a couple of pictures. I have to say this forums have been ENORMOUSLY helpful in figuring out what to do and how to do it.

That looks like a cool little boat, should be really nice once its done. You've already got alot of work done..good luck and keep the pictures coming. I'm just a little ways past you..but not by much.

Waffles

Recruit

So, I have been researching and reading on how to replace the deck (not floor) :) in my boat. Couple of questions:

When you cut new pieces for the deck, using the old wood as templates, do you leave a bit of room around the edges to allow build up of epoxy to seal the edges?

How do you attach the deck to the stringers?

What kind of plywood should I get for the deck? Lots of advice on this but I think I am just confused. Someone help me here.

Thanks everyone!! I am eager to get going on this.

Iq,

Looks like your boat has a straight drive not a v-drive.

iqxoqlms

Seaman

I stand corrected - it is a direct drive. I guess I can still say that I've never owned a v-drive boat!;)