is the transom 2 low or is there a way 2 keep the rear from droping out of the hole

rentprop1

Petty Officer 1st Class
finally got my little skiff boat running, the transom is about 15 inches high, my son who weight about 160 noticed a lot of wave splashing over the back of the transom...and the rear end seems to ride really low out of the hole almost until it gets up on plane

any options ??
at idle speed looks almost level ?
littleboat007.jpg

close up of hole shot >>>
littleboat016.jpg

littleboat013.jpg

rentprop1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: is the transom 2 low or is there a way 2 keep the rear from droping out of the ho

a little more background : this boat is about 35 years old, its light a feather, so I don't think the foam is soaked ( or if there even is any foam under the deck ?)
1975 Evinrude 50 hp
there is no placard as for engine rating or anything this is what came on it when I got it.
both guys in the boat are about 160 ish
only 2-3 gal's of fuel
no water in the bilge as they had just run the pump before this

thanks

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
Re: is the transom 2 low or is there a way 2 keep the rear from droping out of the ho

Might be trimmed up too much or the engine might weigh too much for the boat.

bitterboater

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looking at the pics, the motor is almost in the water.
My thoughts are that the transom is too low for the boat and the motor may be too big for the boat. A 35hp might be better for that boat.

mpsyamaha

Petty Officer 1st Class

i had a newer version of that hull.... it had a 20" transom and was rated to 75hp. i had a 2 stroke 70 yamaha on it and did nearly 40mph. i have seen quite a few of these boats around, and im pretty sure they all had 20" transoms.

heres my old boat:

keys022.jpg

newrsxwheels015.jpg

scipper77

Commander

It's ironic to me that your pants are hanging down the same as your complaint about the back of the boat... LOL.

Sorry couldn't resist taking a shot.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

it looks to me like in the last picture that someone cut the transom to accommodate a short shaft motor. I bought a ski boat last summer where someone had done that, and every time we came off plane it would fill the back of the boat. if that is the case, short of rebuilding the whole transom, i don't think there is a way to fix that.

tallcanadian

Captain

Normally if your getting water coming in over the stern it's usually because the motor is sitting too low in the water. If you have a short shaft boat, 15", and a long shaft motor, 20", you have approxitamely 5" of extra motor sitting below your boat. The cavitation plate on the motor should be even or a little above the lowest point on the bottom of your boat. That may explain why you have to stand up to get her to plane. Do you have power trim on that motor? It looks like you have a lot of weight on the back of the boat. Weird.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Are you sure your flotation cells are not water logged????

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

engine trimmed to high or too long of a shaft/short transom also consicer putting your fuel tank and battery in the front....

BTW damn that is some nasty looking water.... looks like coffee

rentprop1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have to take a pic tomorrow in the light with the motor down, this is the best I can do tonight :

there is NO T-n-T

The cavitation plate on the motor is almost even with the bottom of the boat

about the pants : that's my teenage son, its the thing now a days, and stop looking at the young boys azz area, sorry couldn't resist :rolleyes:

as for the water looking like coffee ?? it was getting dark usually you have a bout 3-4 feet of vis, and I have a crappy camera
littleboat018.jpg

Craigmri

Seaman Apprentice

Woud smart tabs be an inexpensive fix for this condition?

Craig

a70eliminator

Captain

All I can say it looks like your trim rod is missing? and the speedometer is useless with the pitot kicked up out of position like that.
Put the battery to the front, alonq with the anchor and other gear.

tallcanadian

Captain

Your transom bracket on the motor almost touches the bottom of your boat..Strange looking gear.

rentprop1

Petty Officer 1st Class

and the speedometer is useless with the pitot kicked up out of position like that.

I know its inline with the bunk board, as seen in the pic the board is longer than the back of the boat, when I pull it up on the trailer it kicks the speedo pitot to the up position, I have to remember to always put it back down

just hate to drill another 3 holes in the transom to move the speedo over :rolleyes:

rentprop1

Petty Officer 1st Class

as promised a pick of the motor in the down position, see the cav plate is even with the bottom of this boat...how much could I possible move it up....a jack plate is out of the question $$$ wise, don't even mention it :eek:
littleboat023.jpg

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

looks like the transom has been cut down for the short shaft engine.... It the water coming in in the center by the engine? I think some smart tabs may help a little and moving weight forward will help.... as much as I hate to say it a whale tail on the anti cav plate..... the real fix looks to be rebuilding the transom and buying a long shaft engine..... not practicle tho....
You might be able to build a splash well in front of the engine tho so whatever comes in will at least run back out

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It definitely looks like to me, that someone has cut the transom to accommodate the short shaft motor. the picture of the other boat on here has a 20" transom. correct me if i am wrong and it came from the factory that way, but the boat i had last summer looks just like that transom and it had been cut.
here is a pic of it.

DSCF2185.jpg

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

A saw will fix that bunk board/pitot problem

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I vote "transom cut". I don't think trim tabs are worth the investment on that rig and whil eit might help your hole shot a little, you still have a major safety issue with the low transom.
I'd be afraid to rebuild the rebuilt transom and know I got enough strength.
Get a lighter motor--maybe a 35.
Or if you like the motor, shop around for another hull; they are a dime a dozen.