curiosity has got me

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Since erikgreen ask to have some legs Id'ed, I have been wondering what is the difference between an MR leg and an alpha?
thanks
rob

zbnutcase

Commander
Re: curiosity has got me

One of the differences is the design/retension of the bearing on the driveshaft just below the waterpump base. Should be able to find exploded views in the manuals available in the sticky at the top of this page. 'nutcase

ziggy

Admiral

I have been wondering what is the difference between an MR leg and an alpha?
from reading a history of the alpha1 drive.
the 1-MR was in 1985. 1 year only. it had "new reverse spiral cut lower unit gears. the gears used to draw together under load, now they are force apart under load. the drive shaft bearing (below the water pump) was changed and a threaded retainer was added to hold the drive shaft bearing cup in position.

near-net forged gears

and a ''a'' stamped on the end of the propshaft to be able to tell the difference from an mr vs. the r drive.

apha1 came out in 1986. it's similar to the 1-mr. and a name change."

the info is from another iboats member who posted up a history of the alpha1 drive. the read was called alpha drive unit history. no idea who originated it.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Thanks guys, The MR is just part of the progression of the legs history, always like to know if I have the AMC pacer of the leg world.