Chev Inline 6 Harmonic Balancer

cowboy2

Cadet
I have an 81 Sea Ray with a Chev Inline 6, 165hp engine. I believe the engine is a '79. I think the harmonic dampner (which I think is same as a torsional balancer explained in my Clymer's maint book) on the end of the crankshaft is shot. The pulley will move back and forth some and also in and out. Should I be concerned? How big a job to change it? There is very little room forward of the crank pulley. where do I buy parts? iboats?

mkast

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Chev Inline 6 Harmonic Balancer

In the adults only thread, you will find the Mercruiser maintenance manual for your engine. The Clymer isn't very good.
You can get repair sleeves for the balancer at most auto parts stores.
A balancer puller works great.

havasuboatman

Ensign

I agree with Bubba. I would only add that if you do lift the front of the motor, only do so a few inches (3 or 4). If you need to go higher than that, lift the whole motor. To lift the motor just the few inches the rear motor mount bolts need to be loosened.
THE DRIVE MUST BE REMOVED FOR EITHER METHOD!!!

cowboy2

Cadet

Well, I guess I will have to take a little 150 mi trip to my friendly boat mechanic. This is beyond my capability. I know now that it can't be ignored. I just wish I could go one year without a big repair bill! Owning a boat is like owning horses. If you don't want bills, don't own one.
thanks for the advice to all of you

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer

Don't know for sure about yours, but some pulleys are bolted to the balancer. If that's the case you probably just need a new pulley and bolts.
Mike

havasuboatman

Ensign

The guy with the post "Has this ever happened to you?" might not agree with you Bubba. :)

cowboy2

Cadet

"In the adults only thread,"
Where is this thread?? I would like to read the "Torsional damper/pulley" Removal/installation part.

Bondo

Staff member

"In the adults only thread,"
Where is this thread?? I would like to read the "Torsional damper/pulley" Removal/installation part.

Ayuh,... At the Top of the forum you found this thread in....

cowboy2

Cadet

I found the GM J-6978 Universal Harmonic Balancer removal tool on ebay for $35 delivered (new it is $300+). Should I purchase the repair sleeve or a new Harmonic balancer which is about $85 at Napa?

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

The repair sleeve simply slides over the nose of the balancer and covers over any groove which could cause an oil leak. It will not repair a loose balancer. You need a new balancer.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

By the way - you can get a free tool to remove the balancer at many auto parts stores. I know Autozone has them. You basically buy it, and then return it. It's their loan-a-tool program. Advance auto has the same deal.

cowboy2

Cadet

Nearest stoplight is 80 mi away and I don't think the Autozones and Advances exist out here. Happy to have a NAPA nearby. Think I will put the sleeve on also just to be safe.

86 century

Ensign

Any neutral balance damper off of a chevy v8 v6 i6 and some i4 will work just fine. The pullers a cheap.

fishrdan

Admiral

Think I will put the sleeve on also just to be safe.

If it's a new pulley there's no reason to put a sleeve on it. The sleeve is used on an old part, to give the seal a new surface to ride on, it covers up a scratch or deep groove.

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yes no need for a repair sleeve but maybe a need for a new oil seal after you remove the old balancer, its like a $4 seal, cheap insurance and easy to install.

The balancer comes off real easy with a plain ole balancer puller, there is kind of a "special tool" that is used to press it back onto the crank upon re-installation that bolts to the front of the motor like the motor mount.
I was told to pound it on with a dead blow hammer and used about a 5 pound brass hammer, took a couple of good wacks and when it was bottomed it made a distinct thunk.
The balancer is the pulley and the balancer is not even retained by a bolt, press fit. love'm ole stovebolt sixes.
Support the motor good and that front motor mount should pull right off, align the motor, rebuild the water pump, kiss aunt jane yada yada yada.