Questions for used boat purchase

lonjangan

Cadet
I am going to take a boat for a test drive and then possibly purchasing this weekend. Since it is my first boat I wanted to see what everyone with experience would ask the dealership so that I don't leave myself open to issues. Also what signs on the boat should I look for problems (hoses / belts on the motor, wear on outdrive or hull, ect....)

Boat rundown:

2002 Crownline 215 CCR
Hours: 74
Engine: 5.7l Mercruiser
Out drive: Bravo 1
Trailer: Dual Axel Prestige
Link: http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2002-CROWNLINE-215-96288412

Questions that I have so far:

Do you have engine maintenance and service records?
How old is the water pump on the out drive and does it need to be replaced?
Has the boat ever seen salt water?
Has the motor or out drive ever been replaced?

Looking for any and all help.

Thanks!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Questions for used boat purchase

That boat is SWEET!

BTMCB

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Nice looking boat. Have you agreed to a price? Any sale contingent upon satisfactory test drive I presume. Even though it looks great, might want a survey or a mechanic to a look as well. Are they offering any "warranty period"? Getting the PO maintenance records is good idea. Also, find out what, if anything, dealer did to it. Good luck and welcome!

lonjangan

Cadet

We did agree on a price over the phone and it is all contingent on test drive and my inspection. It is being sold as a brokerage deal so the dealership is doing the leg work for a private seller and taking a cut. As far as what they did they said they detailed it and that was all.

Would you recommend trying to take it somewhere else for inspection or take the dealers word? Great idea on warranty I had not thought about that. Is it common for a dealership to offer this?

BTMCB

Senior Chief Petty Officer

We did agree on a price over the phone and it is all contingent on test drive and my inspection. It is being sold as a brokerage deal so the dealership is doing the leg work for a private seller and taking a cut. As far as what they did they said they detailed it and that was all.

Would you recommend trying to take it somewhere else for inspection or take the dealers word? Great idea on warranty I had not thought about that. Is it common for a dealership to offer this?

Depends on how much you know. If it were me (i am no boat expert) I'd ask to take it to someone i trusted to have a peak at it or bring a friend that knows more than me or even hire a mechanic to come with me to inspect it and also to participate in the trial run. The warranty was just a question. If it is a "brokered" deal, probably not ("as is" is the norm) but then again it is their reputation on the line and there is no harm in asking for a warranty period - even if it is just 30-90 days. Then run the heck out of it during that period! Also, that would give you time to really get it inspected closely. It sure is a nice looking boat. Have you researched the dealer? Good reputation, etc. Just being cautious - not suggesting they aren't. Again, good luck!

rbh

Fleet Admiral

An eight year old boat with only 74 hours????????
look really, really close, that doesnt seem right.

lonjangan

Cadet

I agree the hours seemed WAY lower than anything I have seen of this age. Accodring to the dealer it was just never ran.

I wanted to see what people thought of the price. When I go to NADA they say that it is worth less they are asking:

http://www.nadaguides.com/default.a...&m=0400&d=1600051571&y=2002&ml=C&gc=mr&gtc=MR

But when I do searching around I cant find anything around this age in this condition for anywhere near the price. Is NADA off or are people just asking for a lot from their boats?

lonjangan

Cadet

NADA has the value at 10K - 12K for a base price.

BUC has the value at 20K - 22.5K.

I also did a price checker on boattrader a found the lowest values for comps to be at $19,000 and the highest around 30.

So if anyone has an opinion on the major differences in price I would love to hear it. My wife looked up NADA and thinks it may not be a good deal even though we cant find any other Crownlines with a cuddy around this price.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Nada is worthless. Boats aren't like cars. The prices vary a LOT across the country. For example we've seen much higher price in the PNW and much lower ones in the SE. That boat looks immaculate and worthy of a premium price. If you get the boat you want at a price you're comfortable paying, it's a good deal.

timmyjoebob

Seaman

NADA has the value at 10K - 12K for a base price.

BUC has the value at 20K - 22.5K.

I also did a price checker on boattrader a found the lowest values for comps to be at $19,000 and the highest around 30.

So if anyone has an opinion on the major differences in price I would love to hear it. My wife looked up NADA and thinks it may not be a good deal even though we cant find any other Crownlines with a cuddy around this price.

It would seem -- I could be wrong -- that NADA is hull-only... at least it is for boats with outboards. Not sure about I/O or stern drive. You may have to factor in motor and trailer.

Nice boat. Search around for identical boats, model/year, or at least close. That way you can see if the price is totally out-of-line. Good luck!

Welcome to iBoats!

lonjangan

Cadet

What I seem to be finding is NADA can be all over the place. The price is right based on comp boats its just hard to argue with what is equivalent to KBB for boats. Has anybody used http://www.boathistoryreport.com/ is it worth it?

ac921ol

Cadet

i was looking at a boat in a marina today online, and when i called and said hey this boat is way higher then nada, they said that they go and use a different value guide it was ABOS

reap182

Petty Officer 3rd Class

looks almost to good to be true. nice boat and good luck

lonjangan

Cadet

I have tried to use ABOS but you have to pay for an account from what I have seen. Any ideas how to use this site without paying an arm and a leg??