Bow or Stern into slip?

themaniam1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have noticed in a lot of pics of boats in the marina that they are backed into the slip rather than bow in. Why is that? On all the lakes near me the boats are bow in so I am curious as to why the difference?

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Bow or Stern into slip?

1) less distance for shore power cord.
2) easier to load kids and gear.
3) proves I can properly maneuver a boat into a slip!:D

CaptNCamille

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you are bow in and dont have a finger pier it is difficult to get on and off.

However, generally, boats with outboards are stern out, boats with sterndrives and outboards are stern in.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... And, to a point, the prevailing Wind comes into play...

robert graham

Admiral

Better to have the bow facing outwards so wave/wake action less likely to come over your transom and swamp your boat, especially if a storm comes in or a large cruiser comes buy throwing a big wake. I've seen boats sunk like that, especially if their mooring lines were too tight! Good Luck!

scutly

Petty Officer 1st Class

like CaptNCamille said. all the fishing style outboard boats pull in. no chance of smashing the engine into the dock. but they normally have a bow pulpit and a high railing to make it a bit easier to get on and off. my boat just has an anchor in the front and we would be in the drink getting on and off if i tried parking it bow in. plus i have a swim platform and walk through transom door. the swim platform also protects my outdrive. in the pic you see the two center consoles next to me bow in. this year i got my permanent slip from the town (for life if i want it) so i will build a platform for a step for low tide

Attachments

• sittinpretty.jpg
    sittinpretty.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 1

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I tie bow out due to waves, both from boats and wind. I'm not in a marina and am exposed to prevailing SW wind in the summer (and slick calm during a northeaster!) and the squalls can be devasting. Growing up (same house) my dad tied the 16' starcraft stern out until it sank in a squall so we turned it around.

From the house I like seeing it bow out. Looks like it's ready to go!

What I don't get is the people who crank their boat lifts way above the tide line and block their and their neighbor's view. Who wants to see a boat levitating 5' above the dock? Different if there's a storm or you are leaving it unattended for a week or so.

haulnazz15

Captain

Another major factor in the decision is the size of the boat. It is a lot harder to pull bow-first into a slip with a 27+ foot boat as the helm is normally 2/3 of the way back. Lots of blind spots and depth perceptions problems on how close you really are to smacking the nose on the iron poles (covered docks). Backing in allows you to see everything behind you and takes less consensation for drift/wind since the engines are pulling the stern right where you want to go (you just have to watch the bow once the stern is in the slip to keep from coming in crooked).

The swim platform/rear deck usually offer a better boarding point as well for boats with gunwhales much higher than the dock. Another item of slightly lesser importance is water depth. I know of a few docks which are only 3-4ft deep at the front but 10+ at the back which for boats with deep drafts would indicate pulling in bow-first.

Just a few reasons I contemplate depending on the boat in use.

reap182

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thats why i love reading these forums, i am constantly learning. :)

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

easier to talk with your neighbors on the "darkside" :D
also with a covered slip... less dew and rain and sun in the cockpit

rjlipscomb

Chief Petty Officer

I always figured that the people with their boats stern-in/bow-out knew how to drive the boat while those with the bow-in/stern-out did not. :rolleyes: Even the guys with the big expensive triple and quad outboards on those big expensive sport fishing boats. (easy to tell the spoiled worthless rich kids) :eek:

Philster

Captain

Another major factor in the decision is the size of the boat. It is a lot harder to pull bow-first into a slip with a 27+ foot boat as the helm is normally 2/3 of the way back. Lots of blind spots and depth perceptions problems on how close you really are to smacking the nose on the iron poles (covered docks). Backing in allows you to see everything behind you and takes less consensation for drift/wind since the engines are pulling the stern right where you want to go (you just have to watch the bow once the stern is in the slip to keep from coming in crooked).

The swim platform/rear deck usually offer a better boarding point as well for boats with gunwhales much higher than the dock. Another item of slightly lesser importance is water depth. I know of a few docks which are only 3-4ft deep at the front but 10+ at the back which for boats with deep drafts would indicate pulling in bow-first.

Just a few reasons I contemplate depending on the boat in use.

AMEN!!!!!!

rjlipscomb

Chief Petty Officer

No envy here. I'm proud of having earned everything I have. I have a lot of "rich" friends who earned theirs as well. They taught me a lot.

That said, we have all seen the big boats owned/operated by people who are, simply put... morons. :D:D:D

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Seen a lot of small boats operated by morons, too. It's just not as dramatic.

themaniam1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a 24' cruiser with a swim deck and I have always thought it a pain to stretch to step on the swim deck to get in. That is why I started this post. I love all the info I get from this forum, thanks for all the positive input.

I have always pulled bow in and found that there is a lot of bow to swing in like Haulnazz said. Is backing very difficult? How far way from the dock do you keep your swim deck?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Is backing very difficult?

get yourself a few fishing markers and practice.... not hard at all... I always prefer to back in when possible..... in calm conditions I like to switch off the engines as the stern gets about 5 feet into the slip and then casually step off the deck with a rope in hand as the boat (VERY SLOWLY) reaches the back of the slip.... You get all kinds of "joe cool points" and it looks much more impressive than it really is