Oil coming out of prop end of outdrive

Cptkid570

Ensign
Mercruiser Alpha One, Gen 1. The boat is stored in my garage. I was in the garage this moring and saw a few drops of oil underneath my outdrive. I'd changed my impellor a few months ago, so the 1st place I checked was at the screw hole.. and that was dry. The outdrive was down, but not completely down, so I lowered it a tiny bit, and more oil came out, this time, at the prop area.

I'm thinking that it's the oil seal on the propellor shaft?? I can't think of anything else it could be. Does the entire unit have to come apart to replace this oil seal? If so, how much does that typically cost? I don't have the specialty tools for that, unless there is something I don't know and this is an easy fix..

JustJason

Vice Admiral
Re: Oil coming out of prop end of outdrive

Pull the prop and see if it's comming from the propshaft seals or if it's comming over the carrier in the exhaust section.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

You did replace the quad ring between the units.

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...

Did you fog the motor? Could it be foggin oil?
Good Luck Muc

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

You need to start with the easiest process.smell the fluid.Gear oil and fogging oil have a distinct smell.See if you can smell the difference.chances are much higher that it is gear oil.Charlie

Cptkid570

Ensign

I don't fog the engine.. I'm in Florida and the boat is kept in the garage. The oil is the same exact color as the gear oil that I'd put in it when I changed the impellor. Yes, I did change the quad ring... are you thinking that if it's not the oil seal on the prop shaft, that maye the gear oil leaked into the exhaust at the ring between the two halves?

I will pull the prop and see if I can tell a little more definitively where the oil is coming out...

If it's the prop shaft oil seal, is that a big job?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

There is a tool that goes over the propshaft and pulls the 2 seals out or the carrier need to be removed to replace the seals.Could be the upper unit seals, water pump base seals, shift shaft seal. All could leak oil out the prop area.

Cptkid570

Ensign

I can pressure test it and try to find the leak right?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Drain the gear lube, then pressure test it. A spray bottle of soapy water will usually tell the story.
Pressure testing with the gear lube still in the drive will usually show a good drive and no leaks because the gear lube is thick and will mask a small leak.

Cptkid570

Ensign

Now I'm going to have to dig the boat out of the garage..haha

bigskiohio

Master Chief Petty Officer

Mine does the same i am thinking it is the quad ring but not sure
i might try pulling the carrier if i can get the courage up as i cant afford taking to dealer this year as i have been layoff for awhile so if you have any ideas i like to hear them. i pressure tested last year but as don said i left oil in will try soapy water this spring
i have lots of maintenance coming up this spring.

Cptkid570

Ensign

I finally pulled the boat out of the garage so that I could get to the outdrive a little better. I pulled of the prop and thare is no gear lube on the prop shaft, but is in the area where the exhaust comes out... so, if the gear lube is getting into the exhaust, would that be more of an indicator that it's leaking at the o-ring where the two halves come together (where the upper housing and lower housing join)??

Bondo

Staff member

so, if the gear lube is getting into the exhaust, would that be more of an indicator that it's leaking at the o-ring where the two halves come together (where the upper housing and lower housing join)??

Nope,... It's just an indication that it's leaking from Above the propshaft seal...
There's Still several seals it Could be...

Cptkid570

Ensign

The one thing that keeps sticking in my head is that I'd changed the impellor on this not too long before I discovered the leak.. well, it's winter, so the boat hasn't been used.. but, I changed the impellor and only used the boat 2 or 3 times since I'd changed it.. so, I'm thinking that it could be the o-ring... at least that is the easiest and cheapest way to start.

I'll do a pressure test next though... And, I'm thinking that once I split it in half, I may be able to see if there is lube everywhere around the o-ring or not

ziggy

Admiral

seems to me like the pressure test would be next....

i'd start by just doing it while the drives still on the boat. if ya still can't locate it and it does leak, further tear down may be necessary..

Cptkid570

Ensign

I pulled the entire drive off and I did the pressure test. Leak is from an oil seal in the upper half of the outdrive where the driveshaft goes into it. The spray bottle of soapy water was really effective.

To pressure test, I used the plastic screw in tube and clear tube that you use to with the pump to put oil into the outdrive... instead of the pump that comes with the tube and plastic screw tube, I stuck a bike pump with with a plastic end (instead of needle) into the clear tube.

Anyway, as for the seal that is leaking, I don't think it's a 'do it yourself' for me, so I think I'll have the shop do it. Since I'll just be dropping off the upper housing, I wouldn't think it would be more than a half hour bench fee + parts. Unless anyone here thinks it's an easy part to replace.

I'll put the two halves back together and reinstall the outdrive onto the boat.