2 rookie moves

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade
As this is my first year owning a boat I have done fairly well . Got a no start running , Got a real education on how a boat motor works and thought I did ok when it came down to boating in general. Since I live on a canal in sunny NC I keep my boat at my dock. Since we had cold weather on the way I decided last week it was a perfect time to go through the carbs and do a few last things on the to do list before spring . So out comes the back seat and off come the carbs . As predicted cold rain/sleet set in last night. This Morning was when I realized my mistakes :

1 ; I had put the seat bottom on the dock and left it there .
2 ; I short tied the stern to work on the boat so it could not get away from the dock

As many of you might have guessed the canal flooded . One foot over the sea wall and 2 feet over normal high tide . My dock was under 1 plus foot of water . I awoke to look out the bedroom window on the second floor to see my seat bottom floating about 15 feet out in the canal and the boat at about a 30 degree list from the short tie , 8 inches from swamping ! So I got on some shorts went out in 29 degree weather with freezing rain . Grabbed a leaf rake and waded out onto the dock next door and the seat bottom had hung up on his dock seats, Got it ... Now on to the boat .. Standing in 1 1/2 feet of freezing water I tried and tried to loosen the cleat tie but it was to tight and frozen. back inside dripping wet looking for a kinfe and some rope . Grabbed a Kitchen knife ( wife not happy now ), remembered bow line for lauching stored in boat . Back out and into freezing water . cut the boat loose and forgot to tie off new line first , Barely got hold of the dock to swing her back in and re tie the stern with new line. Feeling somewhat good I went outside to scrape the Ice off my wifes car before she left for work . Sneakers froze on my feet now.
Leather sneakers are now on the porch frozen , seat is outside draining, wife is back from work and upstairs . It is good to have a Bologna sandwich for dinner sometimes.
By the way the canal had already peaked and did nothing but go down for the rest of the day , 2 hrs after the fiasco I would not have had a problem at all . Now if the beer I left in my jeep last night would just thaw out I might make it to tomorrow !

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: 2 rookie moves

When stuff like that goes on at our fish/hunt club--and it always does-- we look at each other and say, "Anyone who doesn't love this is crazy!"

Yesterday was up on a barrier island on the Eastern Shore; stayed at 20* with 15-25 mph winds varying NE-N-NW. Started snowing at 6 am as we were heading out to hunt; never stopped by the time I left around 2. Mighty cold out in a 17' boat and scary when the tide drops and the motor starts acting stupid. Rescued two guys (from our club) who ran aground and one (in his eighties) got water in his boots, had to leave the boat. Just fun and games for the duck hunters; last day of the season. Now what?

cribber

Lieutenant

I'd say both y'all need to thaw in front of a fire somewhere with a choice cold beverage and swap stories of your experiences with someone!!! Especially you guys who duck hunt... takes a special breed to go out in freezing conditions for love of your sport!!! Cheers!!!

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Brown liquor was indeed consumed with a crackling fire positioned across the rim once I made it home. But not until more boat riding after the rescue and racing to beat a falling tide that would have stranded us until the next day; driving on 10" of fresh snow on unmarked rural roads with trailer; pulling boat up on a steep ramp covered with snow and sea ice, then a 80 mile drive in the snow storm. Piece of cake for you Northerners (the driving part; most of your boats are stored now) but not a frequent event for a Southern boy.