I should be fine using FB resin right?

EStack

Seaman Apprentice
Okay well this is not for patching the hull or anything. I'm laying 1708 on the hull when I get her stripped down. Now I plan on using a lot of resin especially on the floor and transom. I was pricing this and I can get fiberglass resin from autozone 16/qt. That's almost 50% cheaper than marine epoxy resin.

I should be alright correct? This is just to seal the wood and hold the 1708 in place. This boat will only see freshwater.

Thanks

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: I should be fine using FB resin right?

You need to read more of the project threads similar to yours and it will answer many of your questions, plus create new ones. 16 per QT is not a good price.

redfury

Commander

I get polyester resin for 30/gal and it's fresh stuff from a fiberglass dealer, not something with an unknown shelf life that is overpriced. Do some looking in your local yellowpages for a dealer near you or check some of the popular online sites for ordering fiberglass supplies if you don't have anything close enough. Nothing beats talking to the guy running the fiberglass shop for good advice and getting the right stuff for the job.

Aquaholic5

Cadet

Okay well this is not for patching the hull or anything. I'm laying 1708 on the hull when I get her stripped down. Now I plan on using a lot of resin especially on the floor and transom. I was pricing this and I can get fiberglass resin from autozone 16/qt. That's almost 50% cheaper than marine epoxy resin.

I should be alright correct? This is just to seal the wood and hold the 1708 in place. This boat will only see freshwater.

Thanks

I paid $110 for 5 gallons of Marine Poly Laminating Resin and hardiner. Found a local business in Phoenix, AZ called Sticky Stuff, that deals with Fiberglass and Kevlar products only. I looked into stuff from the Box stores and Auto Zone..waaay overpriced. I think the 1708 was like 8.50/yrd 50" role.

EStack

Seaman Apprentice

You need to read more of the project threads similar to yours and it will answer many of your questions, plus create new ones. 16 per QT is not a good price.

The main one I'm reading is the guy who is doing a 73 wellstar, but hasn't been on in two months. :(

Thanks for the help.

Friscoboater

Captain

There are money other threads that seal with fiberglass resin. Mine is one of them. I used the resin from lowes (not recommended) and it was 35 a gallon.

EStack

Seaman Apprentice

There are money other threads that seal with fiberglass resin. Mine is one of them. I used the resin from lowes (not recommended) and it was 35 a gallon.

So is the reason why you would not recommend it is on your thread in your signature?

Bondo

Staff member

I should be fine using FB resin right?

Ayuh,... What's FB,..??
There's nothing wrong with using Polyester resin,...
It's all about Pricing,+ the Freshness of the product....
Polyester especially, but All resins have a Shelf Life.... Old resin is No Good...

EStack

Seaman Apprentice

Ayuh,... What's FB,..??
There's nothing wrong with using Polyester resin,...
It's all about Pricing,+ the Freshness of the product....
Polyester especially, but All resins have a Shelf Life.... Old resin is No Good...

FB-Fiberglass...sry just a short term I've got on with auto forums.