how long to dry???

dave1

Seaman Apprentice
Just recently painted the lower unit on my 1960 johnson ouboard. how long should I wait for it to dry before I use it in the lake again. don't want it flaking off. Spent along time sanding, priming and painting. seems like a basic question but I have no idea?Thanks All:)

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: how long to dry???

It varies a great deal depending on the type of paint, temperature, humidity, etc. It could be from couple of days to several weeks.

dave1

Seaman Apprentice

It was outboard motor paint by moeller

a70eliminator

Captain

A non catalyst paint like what comes in rattle cans can takes a couple weeks to a month to fully cure, when cured you can no longer scratch the surface with your fingernail and the paint smell is totally gone, that's been my experience with non catalyst enamels.
The paint will cure underwater it's just suseptable to marrring and scratches till it does, if prep was good than peeling and flaking shouldn't be a problem either way.

redfury

Commander

Peeling and flaking are going to be from a bad bond no matter what paint was used. If you did your prep right, used the proper system to paint it, then it will be fine once it cures....curing depends on the specific circumstances you are in. Temp of the lower unit itself should stay above 65 degrees, and you are looking at least 2 weeks to be fully cured and out of the woods. Some paints will take longer to cure and curing time will be extended in colder or more humid environments ( unless it's a moisture or UV cured product ).

Generally speaking, if you give it a month regardless, you should be cured.

The only thing that should happen to the paint is scratching or the bond being broken if the lower unit is struck by something very localized ( ie. a hammer strike and the paint chips )

dave1

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for the responses. sanded down all the way to aluminum then primed with self eching primer then paint. going to clear coat it too