Slow Saturday, some strange boat pictures.

Bubba1235

No longer on Forums
So you want to build a house boat, here is one for the DIY guys

houseboat.jpg

Waves? Rough Seas? We don't care!

waverider.jpg

Tis a sleek hull but getting the crew to flap those wings is tough.

flapfaster.jpg

No, it won't tip over in a turn dear.

outriiger.jpg

I said I wanted a boat that could plane, not a "plane" boat!

russian.jpg

If the mouth closes we are in deep do-do.

strange1.jpg

Campylobacter

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Slow Saturday, some strange boat pictures.

Unfortunately, boat #4 (formerly called the Earthrace) is no longer with us. It set a world circumnavigation speed record, then was donated to the anti-whaling group the Sea Shepherds.

Here it is with its new name, the Ady Gil
ady.jpg

It is (was) a carbon fiber hull powered by diesel engines that could maintain 50 knots.

It met its end in a confrontation with a Japanese whaling ship

ship62.jpg

ship110.jpg

I won't get into the politics of whaling, but if you watch the video there is plenty of idiocy to go around

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2010/jan/06/andy-gil-anti-whaling-catamaran

wingatesl

Recruit

I hate to say it, because I don't like the whaling either. They got what they deserved. They intentionally ran in front of the ship. If I owned that "research" vessel I would have tried to get them to repaint my hull where the impact occured.

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Shoulda sunk 'em..then went back over to make sure.There stupidity can cost lives, attacking the ship is like someone attacking one of my carpenters because they dont like the house design..idiots

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

There were enough threads on the whaling topic when the event occurred. Lets keep this one on the "strange looking boats" topic.

Campylobacter

Chief Petty Officer

There were enough threads on the whaling topic when the event occurred. Lets keep this one on the "strange looking boats" topic.

Sorry about that, I didn't mean to jack the thread. I just wanted to give some background on a truly "strange looking boat". If you read about its earlier life as the Earthrace, it is a pretty cool piece of technology. It circled the globe 60 days, 23 hours, 49 minutes, all on "biodiesel". I must have missed the earlier posts about the whaling nonsense.

Anybody got any back ground on any of the others? I am especially interested in the one with the nose sheared off, perhaps the garage was too short

81 beachcomber

Petty Officer 2nd Class

boat number three is "a green machine" electrically powered propolsuion "pods" one on each side (you can see the arm stretching out under the one side) powered by the solar panels on those "wings" and those wings act as hydrofoils/sails to sail the boat under wind power, so it is completly self reliant and "green" if you will lol. there was an article i read about it about a year ago, ill try to find it

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

so anyone know the story of that boat with 8 outboards? photoshop? an engine test mule? they look so close together that even turning them slightly would end up with contact.

**nevermind, found it!**

yep, drug smuggling boat apparently. the best part, 4000 gallons fuel capacity!

http://www.snopes.com/photos/boats/drugrunner.asp

81 beachcomber

Petty Officer 2nd Class

so anyone know the story of that boat with 8 outboards? photoshop? an engine test mule? they look so close together that even turning them slightly would end up with contact.

**nevermind, found it!**

yep, drug smuggling boat apparently. the best part, 4000 gallons fuel capacity!

http://www.snopes.com/photos/boats/drugrunner.asp

thanks for the link sc, never actually read the whole story about this boat, pretty crazy eh... and hmmmm i wonder how long that 4000 gallons would last at 60 knots haha wow