2003 Johnson 140 tilts down but not up

DHPate

Cadet
2003 Johnson 140 tilts down but not up. When I push the buttons up (motor or helm) I hear a click but no electric motor sound or movement. When I push the buttons down the tilt lowers the motor. I have read about a possible relay problem, but where are the relays. I found a fuse cover box that has 2 30A fuses inside and one has power to both sides all the time and the test light dims when the button is pushed down. The other has no power to either side of it at anytime but the fuse is not blown. Help if you can.....Dwight.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2003 Johnson 140 tilts down but not up

Just swap the relays. If the motor now goes up but not down one of the relays is bad.

DHPate

Cadet

Not to sound stupid, but where are the relays?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The two square devices are not fuses; they are 30 Amp relays.

Switch them and see if the problem transfers.

If not, the problem is in the wiring or in the switches.

DHPate

Cadet

Well the 2 little green 30A fuses are not square, they are typical 2 prong fuses. I found where the wires go into 2 square rubber caps that have prongs down in them. I assume these are the relays and I switched them and no change. Still goes down but not up.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The PT&T motor has only one set of wires so if it goes down it will go up if voltage is reversed. Voltage is not reaching it, so the problem has to be in the wiring or in the switches.

If you have switches on the motor and at the helm and both fail to work, the problem is probably in the wiring.

DHPate

Cadet

Both switches at the helm and the motor do the same thing (work on down and click on up). So it is probably a wiring problem between the battery and where it splits to the switch? I am looking for the wiring schematic. I saw one on this site, but I can not find it now.

DHPate

Cadet

OK, I raised the motor manually and found the 2 wires going into the motor and while I was looking at them all of the sudden it started working in both directions. I can not see a pinched or otherwise damaged wire, but I suspect there is one, right? I moved the wires going into the top of the motor just a little (very little) but on further manipulation I could not find a damaged wire but I suspect a bad connection somewhere? What do you think?

DHPate

Cadet

BTW, thanks for your help....Dwight

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The problem is probably not in the wires between the relays and the PT&T motor or you would have a problem in both directions.

You may have a tilt limit switch - I can't find a reference for your particular motor. If you have a tilt limit switch, and if it sticks, you could have the problem that you are encountering.

dmas

Petty Officer 3rd Class

check the connections at the relays and also check the titl and trim switch that's on the motor, it's a simple 3 way switch, one wire is the common power supply for the switch, it's the one in the midle. Get a multimeter and check for continuity between the common and the other 2 wires.

waltdiggity

Cadet

If its the 4 stroke model it has one relay box for both up and down right by the 2 30 amp fuses it has green wire and blue going into it, those wires go into trim motor on other side. That sounds like your culprit.