Trailering a boat with a radar arch

JP Fla

Cadet
Are there any handling problems while towing a boat with a radar arch? The boat is a 2002 2400 Wellcraft Martinique.

Thanks

Philster

Captain
Re: Trailering a boat with a radar arch

Nope. Anything sticking up might cause some buffeting, but compared to center consoles and other rigs, a radar arch is nothing.

Measure your clearance! Some good vids of guys with similar boats ripping the tops off at bank drive-throughs and gas stations (from the overhead awning).

Measure your clearance and get used to looking at the clearance markers on overhangs, etc!

Happy Trailering!

Not a boat, but it'll make you be careful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxewzpVPgAE

Bondo

Staff member

Are there any handling problems while towing a boat with a radar arch?

Ayuh,... As long as it's Not over 13',6" High, sitting On the wagon.... No Problem...
If it Is over 13', 6", On the wagon,...
You'll probably get where your going Without the arch... :rolleyes:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

also NOT ALL bridges are 13'6" there are low bridges all over the country.... If you plan to travel in unknown areas pick up a CURRENT motor carriers road atlas avail in most truck stops for about $40. Spring the couple extra $$ for the spiral bound laminated version.... After you plan your trip go to the front and look for low bridges by state, highway, and milemarker or ciity/intersection.... It would not be my idea of fun to nutice that 10' sign just as you go under the bridge at 70 mph..... btw my wellcraft on the trailer is over 13' but I'm not certain of the exact height..... it fit under a 13'6 gate so we ran with it
I expect that a 24'er should be well under (maybe around 10') but this info still aplies.... I have personally seen an 8'6" bridge on a state highway.... there was a detour for trucks..... 8'6" is about chest high in the seat of a semi :eek:

martyh

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I guess I have never understood this. I have seen people pull trailers through drive-throughs (McDonalds comes to mind) and catch a curb or their fender on a pole. Wouldn't it be easier to just walk inside??

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I don't know what it has to do with this thread but I have never hit anything when pulling trailers through the drive through and no I never felt like it would be easier to walk in and stand in line... plus I didn't have to leave my gear unatended for some schmuck to steal

martyh

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I don't know what it has to do with this thread but I have never hit anything when pulling trailers through the drive through and no I never felt like it would be easier to walk in and stand in line... plus I didn't have to leave my gear unattended for some schmuck to steal
Nope.

Measure your clearance! Some good vids of guys with similar boats ripping the tops off at bank drive-throughs and gas stations (from the overhead awning).

Measure your clearance and get used to looking at the clearance markers on overhangs, etc!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxewzpVPgAE

Just commenting on post number two, and not meaning to offend anybody.

I guess you have not been lucky enough to get stuck behind somebody in the drive-through line that got there trailer stuck on the pole or watch it hop the curb and run through the flowers.

Not saying that everybody can't maneuver through the lanes but, it just seems wrong when people destroy other people?s property and not give a rip about it. Businesses spend money on their establishments only to have us customers come along, tear it up and give off the attitude of "oh well". Would this be considered allowable destruction of property?

Most places (and I understand, not all) have a maximum height sign hanging prior to the entrance, and we can both agree that it's the drivers responsibility to know what his/her height is and yet there is always some kinda damage to the building or overhang. Does that mean that the driver didn?t know or didn?t care?

The ones I have seen have been boats and had more than one person in the tow vehicle so, it's not like there wasn't anybody to watch the gear.

Just trying to understand. I guess I don't mind walking inside if I have not planned ahead and somebody always stays to watch the gear for the times when things were forgotten.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

well now I know what it had to do with the thread lol.... There are a lot of people who don't have enough education to safely drive a car on the streets and of course you need to be responsible for your vehicle... Anything you damage is your responsibility and is not at all ok.
You CERTAINLY didn't offend me.... I absolutely can't stand people who have no reguard for the property and safety of others

I know I am continuing the hijack but I used to drive a 4 axle mack truck with a 45' tri axle lowboy behind it through a certain (fast food) drive through in texas...... there are not very many drive throughs in the country that you could do that in LOL