Transom problem?...help and advice much needed

russellt

Recruit
Hi All, I new to this forum and live in Brisbane Australia. I have read through some of the posts on here and the information available is great and so far has helped me out heaps.
I am hopfull that I can get some similar help/advice with some issues which have come up with my boat restoration experiences so far.

I am also new to the boating world and have recently bought a 16ft half cabin fishing boat (Sunchaser 4.9..think it is a local Australian company. Year of hull is around the 1991 vintage I think)
I bought the boat from an ex boat builder, and being relatively green had sought some advice on what to look for when buying...I was advised that the main areas to check are the floor and transom. The floor has no spring and from what I can tell is sound (carpeted though so not visually checked it) and the transom also appeared to be OK...I spoke with the guy I was buying the boat from who told me that the transom and floor were OK (as I guess he would)..I rocked the motor on the transom and there was no movement/flex so believed (and still do!!?) that the it is strucurally sound (the guy also had another boat there which had a rotten transom...he showed me this and I rocked the motor on that too for a comparison...BIG difference, which made me feel confident that the boat I was buying was OK).

I decided that I wanted to give the 1988 Johnson 70hp outboard motor a makeover as there was a fair bit of corrosion around the steering arm and tilt ram..so I have removed the engine from the boat and am in the process of a full strip down and then will restore the parts.
Once I hade removed the motor I noticed that there was a small crack in the gel coat beneath the aluminium trim which lines the top edge of the transom in the motor bay. I decided to investigate further so removed the trim, which was held on by SS screws; the trim also had a smearing of silicon on the flat edge (against the vertical face of the transom).
Once I got the trim off it revealed a large crack beneath it, running the entire length of the transoms top edge (all the way from the hull seams on the stern, running along the outside face)...bit difficult to explain so I have attached some photos which I hope goes OK and shows the area in question.

I am not quite sure what to do now :confused:...I have had a poke around in the holes revealed in the transom from removing the engine mounting brackets and it doesnt seem to be soaking wet, also tried to look beneath the crack but it is difficult to tell if there is any dampness in there. The cracked area does not lie beneath the water line so I am hoping that I can prove that the transom is not rotten and perhaps carry out some form of repair to the cracked area. My gut feeling is that I need to cut out the cracked area and perhaps check underneath to make sure, and also restore the area to as it shuold be.
I have also checked on the inside of the boat and there doesnt appear to be any cracks on this side, although it looks like the engine bay is pretty much stuck to the transom during contruction...not familiar with boat building so I can only guess.

Any comments or help/advice would be really appreciated as I am a bit concerned that there could be major work to do in carrying out a repair. Also I need to convince myself that the transom is OK and not rotten, and doesnt need replacing.

Many thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2034.JPG
    IMG_2034.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2035.JPG
    IMG_2035.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2038.JPG
    IMG_2038.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2039.JPG
    IMG_2039.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2040.JPG
    IMG_2040.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 0

jonesg

Admiral
Re: Transom problem?...help and advice much needed

It looks like the cap of the hull is seperated from the hull a bit, could be from previous repair or just happenstance. The best way to inspect the transom wood is with a 1/4inch drill, drill down low near the keel and look at the wood chips. If its dry, not black or wet then just seal the hole up with some epoxy paste and forgetaboutit.

I would poke around that top area a bit more, if theres some silicone or sealer thats failing then try and extract it all, try a variety of tools, a grinder with a masonry stone might work but if its gummy then a serrated knife might be a better choice to saw through it.
When I replaced my transom I just cut the top off and glassed the top when done. I used a grinder with a steel/diamond blade,
cuts glass like butter ( wear a mask for sure).
Sometimes its easier to replace than try to get a good finish on patch jobs.
But seeing as its covered by a transom guard I'd probably just seal it and cover it up....if its dry.

russellt

Recruit

Thanks for posting a reply Jonesg

I have drilled a few holes in the transom near the keel (from the inside) and the wood chips didnt look too bad, but....when I squeeze them water appears. I have also scraped around inside the OB braket holes a bit more with the same results. Ive been trying to convince myself that all is OK, but I think that it has dawned on me that the wood core is wet :(
Feeling a bit overwelmed at the moment...seems like the boat was a bit of a lemon when I bought it:mad:
Have read through a few of the strings in here where people have replaced transoms and gone on to find that the floor/stringers have also needed replacement; looks like its a lot of work to do this job.
I am keen to have a go at doing the work myself, but I have zero experience with fibreglassing and am not familiar with boatbuilding techniques at all.
Have read that the best way to go is from the inside, but cant see how that can be done as the engine bay is attached to the transom and there doesnt appear to be any seam to split; also the joint between the top half of the boat and bottom half (covered by the g'whale rubber) extends around the back of the boat so it looks like I need to get this ot of the way,somehow:confused:..Do I take the entire top of the boat off? Have then read that the hull can deform. Should the hull be on the trailer, off the trailer or somehere in between?? :).

Also while reading the other posts getting quite daunted by which materials to use....epoxy, VE, Polyester, wood or composite, 1708 biax, CSM, 18oz woven roving etc, etc...eeeek!

I have asked a couple of local pros to give me a rough quote to do the work..depends on how much they come back with as to whether I do it myself or not.

I think I would rather do it myself..had a few experiences in the past in other areas, and always feel more comfortable knowing exaclty what has been done and that it has been done properly.

Oh well, I think I need to do a lot more reading and try to get some thoughts down on paper.

Will let you know which way I go.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

russellt,
You are right about it being a lot of work but by no means impossible.
A lot of the people here had little or no experience with most of this when they started. The folks here have a lot of experience to draw from that will help you through every step of the process.
I can tell you that if you are getting quotes, just be sitting down when you open them. We do promote safety first. :D
As for separating the two half's you will need to remove the rub rail. under that you will find either screws or rivets holding the two half's together.
As for the material it is mostly a matter of choice and what's available in your area. Epoxy may be stronger but it also cost a lot more. If you boat is made from Epoxy then you will need to use epoxy.( I seriously doubt that it is.)
The cost of resin is much less and works fine. I'm using it to redo my boat.
Good luck in what ever you decide.
Bob

mark1961

Ensign

I suggest you get a hold of a copy of "Secondhand Boat Workshop" which is published by Jeff Webster 07 55940898. Yep, he is located on the Gold Coast. This mag has an article which shows you a step by step procedure for doing a transom replacement by a pro boat repairer who is also not that far away from you, Holloway's Fibreglass Repairs in Ashmore Qld. If you are still feeling overwhelmed after reading the article you could always just stop by and see these guys. Btw, according to the article it isnt necessary to seperate the top half and even the splashwell was left in place, check it out.

russellt

Recruit

BobsGlasstream..thanks for the encouragement:) Starting to lean towards the DIY route. I will still see what the quotes come in at...will ist down in case I faint!

mark1961..thanks for the info on the book Will get hold of a copy..step by step guide, mmm..just what I need. Wish I was a boatbuilder..but then I probably wouldnt have bought the boat if I was in the know:redface:
I like the idea of not having to remove the top half of the boat...seems like the way to go if it can be done. Will do even more reading and try to figure out my attack plan......watch this space!

redfury

Commander

You are probably 10x or better ahead of the competition on this board in the condition of your first boat purchase, having no previous experience. If you want further encouragement, check my links below and see where I started ( with no previous boat buying/repairing experience ). I'd rather be you, than me.

BTW, You may want to check out www.rotdoctor.com and consider techniques for the transom described there. Depending on the actual condition of the transom wood, you might be able to dry it out. I read one guy drilled a bunch of holes, fit tubes to them and connected them all to a shop vac and drew out as much water as he could over 24 hrs while applying some heat ( like a ceramic space heater ) and then using the epoxy injection and filling up the holes afterwards. Might be an option. Replacing the transom straight up isn't the only way to fix a boat transom. Wood can be dried out if the water has some place to go, it just depends on what you want to do to dry it out.

mark1961

Ensign

BobsGlasstream..thanks for the encouragement:) Starting to lean towards the DIY route. I will still see what the quotes come in at...will ist down in case I faint!

mark1961..thanks for the info on the book Will get hold of a copy..step by step guide, mmm..just what I need. Wish I was a boatbuilder..but then I probably wouldnt have bought the boat if I was in the know:redface:
I like the idea of not having to remove the top half of the boat...seems like the way to go if it can be done. Will do even more reading and try to figure out my attack plan......watch this space!

No problem, just noticed yours is a half cabin so hopefully the floor/stringers are still good, are there any soft spots? If there are, top half may need to be removed to repair depending on extent of rot. Do your homework first and decide whether its worth it or not, good luck!

russellt

Recruit

Well...I got to the point where I was saturated with information from reading various forums, web articles etc and decided that I needed to open up the transom to look closer at the timber core.
I have cut a section of the transom cap off (at the noteched part) and low and behold...the timber is in a pretty poor state. It looks like the two ply sheets (about 10mm thick each) have delaminated and both are wet...seems strange but I am not sure that there was any resin or other bonding material laid between the sheets when the transom was put in??
I have also removed the carpet from the floor and drilled a few holes in ramdom places and it looks like some of the timber in the floor is also wet...it just gets better :eek: There are some areas which seem to be OK, but without really knowing what the true extent of the floor damage is I guess that means I am also into re-doing the floor....if I decide that its worth it that is.
I have attached a couple more pics to show my progress so far, albeit exploratory in nature. Red circles are where I hve taken core samples.
Would appreciate any comment on how the floor has been built and what I would need to do to repair/replace, if that info an be gleened from the pics....

Have thought about my options, and Im not really in a position to sell the hull (for peanuts no doubt) and then go and get another one in good condition...not quite ready to give up boating yet so it looks like I in for a fun few months doing a makeover on the hull now too.
Bit peeved as I only took the motor off to do the same...which is now far in the back of my mind, and lying in pieces on the floor of my shed :):)

Redfury..I had a look at the rotdoctor website...some good info on there for transom repairs. I like the one the gut did using laminate 'strips', but Im not sure I wold be able to use that method if Im looking at floor/stringer replacement now too.

Anyone know if adding the floor/stringers to the mix means I have to do the transom from the outside in, rather that the other way which I am lead to believe is the better option from a strength/asthetics point of view (i.e. matching the gel coat colour)??
Also, do I need to get the boat off the trailer do do this kind of work??

Back to work tomorrow so Ill have to wait 'till next weekend now to go any further....boo:D

Attachments

• IMG_2084.JPG
    IMG_2084.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2074.JPG
    IMG_2074.JPG
    119.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2078.JPG
    IMG_2078.JPG
    120.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2076.JPG
    IMG_2076.JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2077.JPG
    IMG_2077.JPG
    127.9 KB · Views: 0

tass

Recruit

hi sorry to butt in but i have a half cabin as well i am going to replace my transom from the inside,boat is perfect condition outside but some one put a aux engine bracket on and did not seal bolt holes.my prob is how do you put in the ply in 1 piece from the inside as you are have no room to get the ply in. 2 options take the top of the rear of boat or put ply in 2 or 3 pieces & stagger the joints.my boat is simular to your pics any help welcome thanks

Breynolds

Seaman Apprentice

Have you considered using a pourable transom material? I done my boat with Arjay and it really worked well. There is also nidabond and seacast. All these companies make pourable transom materials. The hard part is getting all the rotten wood out. There are some post on here with details on how its done. A chainsaw works quite well. Good luck on your rebuild.

zem

Cadet

hi mate, youtube has a lot of videos on transom repair, although there is a lot of info on iboats youtube has videos and i found this very helpful as a picture says a thousand words, good luck