Protect your data using this free program!

waterinthefuel

Commander
In todays world, you can never be too careful. If someone steals your cell phone, they can get all your private numbers, etc. If they steal your laptop or desktop PC, that can be really really bad. Not only can they get your files and programs, but they can access your financial information, if you have a keylogger (you won't know until its too late) all of your keystrokes and passwords, the list is practically endless. It can haunt you for years to come, they can steal your identity basically.

Well, there is a free program out there that can help you quite a bit. It's called Truecrypt. Unlike windows and BIOS set passwords, this password CANNOT be reset by removing the bios battery or resetting anything. This is a full hard drive encryption system to the 256 bit level, which the department of defense has said is high enough security to encrypt the top secret US intelligence information. Basically, as good as it gets. It can even be used to create a hidden operating system within your system, so you can make a non-secure area as well as a secure one that only you know about. It will not appear to anyone. So if someone "makes" you disclose your password by threat of force you can disclose it to only the main operating system, not the hidden one. This is complicated to do, but it can be done. It comes with all the instructions you need.

It can also be used to encrypt a flash drive. If you keep your financial information (or any private information) on a seperate drive and someone steals that (admittedly a lot easier than stealing an entire computer) you're in for some trouble. Encrypt the flash drive and without the password the drive is useless. They can reformat it and put their own stuff on it, but they CANNOT access your stuff. This program can be used to encrypt ANYTHING.

If anyone wants to, I can walk you through it quite easily (if you did what I did and just encrypted the entire drive, if you want to go deeper and do more you're on your own! LOL) if you are confused. It is really quite simple if you do it the way I did it. Full encryption will take about 9 hours, maybe more. It will NOT slow your computer down because if it detects you doing anything (any hard drive activity) it will instantly pause itself to allow you to do what you want and then automatically resume as soon as the hard drive is quiet again. However, if you are using your computer while it is trying to encrypt the encryption process will take longer. It takes no effort on your part for this to occur, its all automatic. The program runs in the background and automatically encrypts everything that goes onto your hard drive, as it goes there. That means that you don't have to remember to encrypt anything that you download, it's done for you automatically and "behind the scenes" meaning you dont have some big ugly and attention-getting dialog box popping up telling you that you are encrytping files. I have not noticed any difference in how fast my computer is when running this program, so it's a good one. The biggest thing is DO NOT TURN OFF THE COMPUTER WHILE IT IS ENCRYPING YOUR DRIVE UNLESS YOU CLICK ON THE "SUSPEND" BUTTON BEFOREHAND!! JUST TURNING OFF THE POWER CAN CORRUPT WINDOWS!! It is VITAL that you not lose power while it is encrypting your drive. I have a full computer battery backup, and I recommend you borrow one for this 9 hour period. It is WELL WORTH IT!!! Once it is encrytped, then power outages won't hurt anything other than the usual you losing any work you hadn't saved.

I recommend it for everyone, however, you WILL need an old-style keyboard with the old OS/2 keyboard connection to type in the password once its done encrypting, at least on most computers. I would, at the very least, have a spare keyboard with the old connection standing by in case this does happen to you. The reason is that it prompts you for the password before Windows has loaded any USB drivers (or has loaded anything to be honest). This means your USB keyboard might not work (depends on some BIOS settings) and without the old style keyboard (which I can promise WILL work) you will be stuck at a "password" prompt and not be able to do anything. If your particular computer needs the old style keyboard for the password, then just leave it plugged in. It won't affect your USB keyboard at all. I have mine stored under my computer desk. When I reboot I pull it out, enter my password and put it right back. Its not an inconvienence for me at all. Well worth the tiny bit of trouble for being able to sleep soundly at night knowing my entire computer is completely safe (or as safe as current technology can get it) from theives.

Not a big deal, but you will also need a small program that can burn an ISO file to a disk. The reason being that you make a "recovery disk" incase something happens and it corrupts Truecrypts decryption software. It will be able to recover your password from your disk (also encrypted to the tremendous 256 bit security level) so you won't lose all your data. I've never had an issue with it and it seems to be an EXTREMELY RARE occurance but still, you want to make sure you keep the disk in a safe place just in case something weird happens.

Remember, if someone runs with your laptop computer they own your LIFE. Encrypt it with this free program and they won't have access to anything on your computer. They can reformat the hard drive and reinstall their own copy of Windows or Linux, but your data will be safe. This program, of course, can't prevent someone from re-using your computer with their own software, but what you're protecting is YOUR PRIVATE AND PERSONAL DATA. That IS what this program will protect for you!

I highly recommend it and would be more than happy to walk anyone through a full hard drive encryption!

Go here to download and install it: http://www.truecrypt.org/downloads

Mods: This software is totally free. I am not being paid to endorse it. This would be no different than me recommending a free game. I have it myself so I am endorsing it simply because I really believe in it!

waterinthefuel

Commander
Re: Protect your data using this free program!

I know it might sound complicated but its not! If you have any questions just ask me! Trust me, it's very user friendly!

WizeOne

Commander

I made a word doc on this info for further consideration, witf. Sounds like a pretty good deal, especially for laptops that leave the safety of your home.

I guess laptops do not use USB keyboards?

waterinthefuel

Commander

I'm glad you pointed this out. No, I meant for a desktop only. I'm almost certain that a laptop keyboard will work just fine without any other keyboard needed! :D