Fuel mixing technique

Hi guys,

Well, I'm off to use our boat on Monday subject to weather etc. This will be the first time I have filled the tank, other than on the water, (as I am new to boating.)

Firstly, If i'm going to fill it at the petrol station, do I need to add the oil before the fuel to the tank, or can I add the fuel to a certain point and then add the correct ratio of oil afterwards?

I was only wondering from a mixing point of view, as I'm not sure if you add the oil afterwards, if it will mix throughout the fuel, which I'm assuming it would, if you added it first.

I will also be taking some cans which I can obviously pre-mix.

It was more the direct mixing in the fuel tank that I'm not sure about!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Fuel mixing technique

It is best to add the oil first.

I figure out how much gasoline the tank can take to a three gallon granularity. Then I add the oil, and then the gasoline. If there is still more room in the tank, you can add another three gallons-worth of oil and then gasoline.

robert graham

Admiral

Always put oil in tank first, then fuel, so it mixes well. If ever in doubt then slosh, shake, stir, whatever it takes to be sure it's well-mixed. Poorly mixed oil/fuel could cost you a motor! Good Luck!

arsenalpsu

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you're filling up at a gas station then driving to the dock I don't think it matters. Driving around will mixing up your tank plenty.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

There's obviously some pro's and con's here but if the tank is empty and you add oil first the oil can sit on the bottom of the tank and never fully mix. Depending on the location of your pickup tube you can suck up that really oily mix and that isn't going to be good.

I usually put 6 gal's in the tank then 15.36 oz of oil then continue filling and at the end I read the pump, subtract the 6 gals and add the necesssary oil at 2.56 oz per gal for a 50:1 mix.

Thanks guys!

Pleased to have some experienced responses on this. Looking forward to using the boat Monday, subject to weather (fingers crossed!)

Thanks again :)

RaScLeS

Petty Officer 1st Class

you could always fill it up 1/4 ad oil and top it off drive to the launch, have fun ! hope the thread isnt a decade old lol