OEM Points vs Sierra/Napa others

JasonAych

Petty Officer 1st Class
The points that are used in most OMC point systems, is OEM better than Sierra/Napa? I am pretty sure Sierra and Napa are the same.

I bought Napa for my 53 Sea King 5hp. One side seemed perfect. The other I had to do some bending and twisting to get the points to line up correctly with each other and be able to adjust the gap properly. My first instinct was to return the Napa part but it was a Sunday and I wanted it finished.

I am just wondring if I'd have the same issue with OEM??

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: OEM Points vs Sierra/Napa others

napa parts are sierra parts.

McGR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

My observation has been that the OEM OMC/BMC points seem to be higher quality in terms of fit and finish. Nonetheless, the Sierra ones seem to work fine despite the lower quality appearance.

ultra353

Petty Officer 1st Class

I bought oem points /condensers and one of my points lined up dead-on, and the other didn`t line up perfectly either. I just left it that way, seems to work alright.

outboardnut

Petty Officer 1st Class

ummmmmmmmm

I think having to bend around on points to get aligned is no biggie and the norm as far as I know.

I know one of my service manuals has pics and a paragraph on proper point alignment and shows a guy bending them around.

OEM seems to be a better quality but the aftermarkets generally work just find.

Your points are more less just a switch, very simple, wouldn't sweat which brand to much.

Most important thing than brand to me is getting them set dead on.

ultra353

Petty Officer 1st Class

What affect will it have if they are off a bit, and do you just bend the arm until it lines up right?

JasonAych

Petty Officer 1st Class

It depends what is off. I had to bend and twist the arm so they meshed flat together and lined up. I fugure your gap could be off if they didn't mesh flat. Also you may get pitting if the spark isn't jumping of the centers of the points. I used a timing light to make sure the timing marks on the flywheel were inbetween the 2 lines on the ignition plate at the "start" postition.