Going To Work!!! WooHoo!!!!!

itsaboattime

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Got a call yesterday and I start work at a Nuclear power plant outage on the fourth!! I've done these before and I know they are only temporary, but when this one is over there is another one closer to home. 72 to 84 hours a week, hotter than hades. I will be building scaffold anywhere from 8 feet tall to 65 feet tall. I love this stuff, the taller the better!!! $1500.00 to $1700.00 a week bring home!!!

Plus all the radiation I want.....free of charge!!! lol

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Going To Work!!! WooHoo!!!!!

To work is good. :)

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

An outage ? What does that mean ? Shut down for repairs ?

Lot of nuclear plants in IL, a huge coal burner just went online here and I almost feel bed that I supported now that I hear the America is realizing nuclear is the way to go. Burning natural for power generation is just garbage.

itsaboattime

Outage for refueling and maintanance. LOTS of maintanance!!

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Glad you have found employment. Good luck with it all and be careful.

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

So, when you are looking around the plant for a radioactive insect to bite you and give you super powers, make sure it isn't a dung beetle.

TilliamWe

Banned

Which plant? Clinton or Braidwood? Or some other one?

angus63

Captain

If it's the Springfield plant, say hi to Homer, Lenny, and the boys for me!:D

Congrats and good luck!

tallcanadian

Captain

Hey congrats, hope it lasts a long time for you. Good luck.

itsaboattime

Which plant? Clinton or Braidwood? Or some other one?

Lasalle County out by Marsailles. Then on to Byron, about 35 mins from home.

Clinton station is near Springfield. Never been to that one...............HMMMMM, Smitherrrrrrs................

TilliamWe

Banned

Lasalle County out by Marsailles. Then on to Byron, about 35 mins from home.

Clinton station is near Springfield. Never been to that one...............HMMMMM, Smitherrrrrrs................

You know that they pronounce it Mar-SAILS' right?

I wouldn't say Clinton is near Springfield, but it is the closest nuclear power plant to it. I have been right by it, but never have seen Mr. Burns or Homer!

itsaboattime

Yeah......Mar-sails.........Been hitting Lasalle since 1999.

I usually hit Lasalle, Byron, and Quad Cities. All 3 owned and operated by Exelon corp. Usually by the time Quad is done the regular construction season starts.

Illinois has the three above plus Braidwood, Dresden, and Zion. Zion doesn't operate anymore.

TilliamWe

Banned

Where is the plant in the Quad Cities actually located? I don't remember seeing it in my couple of years of going there to inspect wrecked cars. Not close to town?

So is that a SOP, to do big maintanence/construction projects at one time, since the plant is down for a refuel? And I take it there refuel schedule is set by how long they want to go in between major maintanence? Cause they could operate for YEARS if they wanted to, without refueling.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Work, good
Sitting on butt to long, BAD
congrats on the job. :)

itsaboattime

Where is the plant in the Quad Cities actually located? I don't remember seeing it in my couple of years of going there to inspect wrecked cars. Not close to town?

So is that a SOP, to do big maintanence/construction projects at one time, since the plant is down for a refuel? And I take it there refuel schedule is set by how long they want to go in between major maintanence? Cause they could operate for YEARS if they wanted to, without refueling.

Quad is actually just outside of Cordova, almost across the street from the dragway. It is named the "Quad Cities Nuclear Generating Station."

Exelon does refueling outages approximately once a year per reactor unit. Every plant in Illinois, except Clinton, has two units. So every 250 to 375 days a unit comes off line and is cycled down into outage. We (carpenters) go into the plant and build between 400 and 1000 scaffolds throught the plant to prepare for and conduct maintanance after the reactor unit is off line. Then once the maintanance is complete, the scaffold is torn down and returned to storage or the pieces are used in another scaffold built later.

Yes the units could be run for years without refuel but you have to take into account the profitability of using degraded fuel. The reactors in Illinois have had their outputs ramped up so high that they burn through their fuel in about a year. Exelon doesn't make a high enough profit on nuclear power to run them over a year without swapping out fuel. Or so I've been told. I have also been told that Exelon loses $3mil a day on average during an outage.

Tubingluvr

Chief Petty Officer

Congrads itsaboattime I too just landed a good job, it's almost like winning the lottery after collecting unemployment for a couple months.
I start training the 7th for a week in Minnesota, then I will be back home in Michigan for 2 weeks, then another week of training, and back home for a week before shipping out to California for the rest of the year.