My neighbor tells me I am going to have a problem

mphy98

Lieutenant
My boat sits next to the house, we are way out in the county and really do not need to lock the doors, but my neighbor tells me I should lock the hitch on the boat and 4 wheeler trailers. He says that someone can just come up and haul them away. We have been out here 20 years and have never had a problem. He, being a city fella says I am just asking for it. I guess I would rather not have a problem so what do you guys think. Very low crime out here but should I lock them up? If so what should I use?

642mx

Lieutenant Commander
Re: My neighbor tells me I am going to have a problem

I lock everything up. I grew up in the country and our house was broken into when I was young (nobody was home) but I've not been a trusting person after that.

I use a masterlock on my boat trailer (even when its in a locked barn)... can't be too careful! :)

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

There is a very long discussion on this forum regarding trailer locks (coupler locks, swing-tongue locks, wheel clamps, lug nut locks, chains, cables, and alarm systems so just do a search and you will have enough reading to make your eyes bleed. Because you've never had a problem does not mean it never will. Where there are toys and things of value there are thieves. They are generally not bashful, generally not very smart, and they get away with things because they can and because neighbors don't care about each other any more. My advice -- if you like your stuff, lock your doors and protect your outside equipment. If you do have a home invasion and the doors are not locked, you may have an issue with your insurance company. And that includes unlocked vehicles in your garage. It's a shame it has to be that way but such is life these days.

klrbruce

Seaman

Padlock $10, missing boat priceless....if theives want it they will take it no matter what you do...but no sense in making it easy for them. We lived in country and never locked our doors before either, but we began noticing with the bad ecomomy that the crime rate was rising, and most of the breakins were from people out of state. The criminals are starting to find that less populated areas in the country tend to be void of people during the work week and very low risk for them to be seen or caught. Boats and trailer toys are high dollar items that are easy to dispose of, and already packaged for removal. Thieves also like them because the don't have to break and enter, they only have to trespass which is only illegal if your property is properly posted.(depending on state) In high crime areas(used to live in Miami) we used to stuff a racketball ball into the ball socket then lock it with a padlock. They were stealing locked trailers with a 1" ball and just lashing the tongue to the hitch. The racket ball helped prevent that. If you park your trailers for a while then put them on blocks and take off the tires, or chain the rims to the frame to prevent moving..A good hi-def digital security camera will give you the best chance of getting anything stolen back, but costly..

northernmerc

Chief Petty Officer

We live in the country too. A few times over the years, someone has driven into the yard and then driven off fast when we opened the door and went outside. Or people come by with stupid excuses for being there, like looking for someone you've never heard of.

A locked gate may help, and it doesn't hurt to put locks on hitches or to use other theft prevention measures.

Sometimes thieves are just plain persistent. Thieves stole a neighbor's 6x6, out of a locked garage, a few years ago. He heard it start and came running. They hit him and sent him flying on their way out. Then they came back a while later and stole two snowmobiles. The trailer the snowmobiles were on was disabled, so they unloaded the snowmobiles, found another trailer, and loaded them on there.

reelfishin

Captain

Chain the trailer to a tree, lock the coupler, chain the boat to the trailer. Keep a loaded gun handy as well. The occasional late night shot out the back door also tends to keep people away.

Back when aluminum was really high a couple of years ago, aluminum boats and trailers were disappearing all over the place. They were stealing them for scrap. Now you need to provide all sorts of proof that it's yours and some yards even photo or video you and your tag when you take in scrap. They were also cutting down aluminum lamp posts in some areas.

When I go away, I chain all of my boats together, chain them to the trailers, chain or remove the outboards, and block all access with my truck and car so they can't easily be towed away.

A big nasty guard dog also does wonders. I had a huge Rottweiler/Newfoundland cross breed that kept my shop and my boats safe. At 200+lbs and a bad attitude towards strangers not many would even think about trying to get past him.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

motion lights with buzzers work wonders along with a sign that states " you are entering a late night shooting range, be alert for for warning buzzer to indicate live firing session and light to illuminate target area"
;)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I live in LA. My boat is in the driveway without a lock. I really don't worry about it. If it get stolen it gets stolen. I have insurance.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

A chain running thru the trailer frames with a real lock would be easy and effective.

86 century

Ensign

I don't lock any thing if they get past the 80# boxer that loves dads boat. Then no lock in the world will stop them anyway.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Slip on a hitch lock. You will never stop them taking it if they really want to but a deterrent will stop the casual thief that just happens to have the correct size ball on his hitch.

surrender

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had a hitch lock on my landscape trailer in my driveway. One day last summer while I wasn't home during the middle of the day a crack head and his girl backed up to the trailer and lashed the trailer to the bumper of their Jeep Cherokee. they were pulling out when the wife and my kids come down the road into the driveway. She gets out and asks them what they were doing. They say "the owner wanted them to take the trailer and mowers to do a job for him". She says "I am the owner and you need to back that trailer up and put it where you found it." They unhooked and took off. The plate on their truck was stolen but I saw the truck about a week later in an apartment complex and pulled in and called the cops. The cops told me nothing could be done until the detective handling the case gets to it. What BS. I kept an eye on them for the next few weeks and when I saw the truck with a table strapped to the roof and a small trailer with a couch on it I called the cops and told them these crooks were getting ready to fly they did get them. The guy was wanted for a string of thefts like this and he was convicted. i'am glad I didn't find them in my driveway.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

That's why I prefer to tie the entire trailer down in place ;)

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

For winter storage I just set it on blocks and remove the wheels and tires.No more flat spots from sitting

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well they just picked up a local yocal Waterford good ole boy out there that was doing breaking and entering's out there.http://www.journaltimes.com/news/lo...cle_a38d6cfe-0c67-11df-903f-001cc4c002e0.html 8 Months ago it was a couple of Milwaukee schmucks who were driving out and robbing houses during the day.
I think robber idiots like rural areas where everyone is gone to work during the day, the people have some decent stuff and the cops are sparse.

As a family member to a bunch of people in Raymond and Yorkville including my widowed Grandma with a big ole farm I am damn glad the mutt is in custody.
Growing up out there I knew a few unsavory characters I was one myself at times but I never messed with anyone or their stuff but I knew a guy or 2 that ended up robbing houses under construction and got caught and went to prison. Snowmobiles and outboards are a favorite to steal as well.

With that said I have about ten thousand dollars worth of auto tools sitting in Dads barn and we don't lock anything up over there and we leave the keys in everything. I personally live in downtown Racine in da ghetto hood and have never had anything stolen here, my wife did hear a window get broke and looked outside to see some youts getting ready to steal from my truck, she yelled and they scattered like the roaches they are. I leave the keys in my Jeep all over and have never had a problem. :rolleyes:
I left my boat in the driveway here 2 blocks from lake Mi all last summer it. Tongue unlocked key hanging but then again who would want my ugly boat. :cool:

BTMCB

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Have you run a background check on your neighbor??!!

mike64

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I've had a car stolen, trunk popped and looted from another car, and a house broken into and burglarized. Anything I want to keep, I lock up. I also know you can only do so much to protect your stuff-- so if it's really valuable it's insured. It's just stuff, and it can be replaced.

I live in a so-called "nice" neighborhood now, and I always read the "Crime Log" in the West Bloomfield Beacon. There's a fair amount of break-ins, cars & boats stolen, etc. Recent Crime Log story-- a guy from another town parked at a community center, left his car unlocked, and got a laptop he left in his car stolen. He told police he didn't think he needed to lock his car "because he was in West Bloomfield". :rolleyes:

Jeepster04

Chief Petty Officer

Personally I think a good way to keep someone from stealing a boat/trailer is to just take the wheels off. Set the trailer on blocks, lock the tongue, or even take the tongue off if its a swing away tongue. Keep the tires away from the trailer, in a basement or something. If they really want it they can bring tires and a tongue but that should keep the everyday idiot from taking it. Could also wrap a chain around the hub and lock it so they couldnt just put a tire on it. Make them work for it at least.

Id keep a block with me if Im traveling too. Doesnt take 5min to jack the trailer up and take the wheel off if youre staying over night at a hotel or something. Wouldnt need to take both of them off.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Id keep a block with me if Im traveling too. Doesnt take 5min to jack the trailer up and take the wheel off if youre staying over night at a hotel or something. Wouldnt need to take both of them off.

must easier methods if you are traveling... back into a parking spot so you can't get the boat out, lock the hitch coupler (and your hitch receiver with a locking pin), and lock the safety chains onto the drawbar. Those are all things you should do anyway and won't cost you any extra time.

They won't steal JUST your boat anymore, now it will be the truck AND boat.