Evinrude four stroke question

drum23

Seaman Apprentice
I am looking at a 20' Proline with a 150hp Evinrude four stroke, don't know the exact engine year. I've had a hard time finding info about these engines. I believe they are made by Suzuki? I know Evinrude didn't stay with the four stroke long. Was this because they were focusing the company on the E-tecs or were there reliablily/service problems with the four strokes? Are there any common problems with engines produced during these years?

Also what kind of fuel burn do these engines have? I'm trying to figure what an average nearshore 4-6 hr trip, mostly trolling for spanish/kings/cobia etc would burn. I don't want to buy more boat than I can afford to fish several times a month. Thanks for answering these many questions.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: Evinrude four stroke question

A rule of thumb for fuel usage would be about 15 gallons per hour at Wide Open Throttle (WOT)

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

How far are you running? On the troll figure about 1 -1.3 gallons per hour.

drum23

Seaman Apprentice

Probably 20-30 miles of trolling a day and 40-50 miles total.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I think you may be getting incorrect info about the outboard, Drum.

Suzuki made Evinrude 4 strokes in the 90s. I don't remember any over 70HP.

When they stopped making Evinrudes they started making Johnsons, which continued for several years. . . until Johnson was discontinued. I don't remember any JohnnyZukis over the DF140.

Try to get us a model number on the outboard. My guess is that it is not a 4 stroke.

drum23

Seaman Apprentice

JB you were right as usual. the motor is the Ficht Efi. This explains why there is no info on 150 hp Rude 4 Strokes :redface:. Am I correct that these motors had reliability problems? Thanks guys.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Depends on the year.....

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Some did -- some didn't. It seems the higher HP versions were more prone to problems than the smaller engines. By the way, Merc had teething problems as well when going to DFI.

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

Am I correct that these motors had reliability problems? Thanks guys.

What year is it?
If it is a 99 or older, I'd pass
2000s were on the fence
If 2001 or newer it is probably an OK motor
2002 or newer is probably pretty good

I have a 2001 150 FICHT that I picked up as a "project" motor. (looking for a hull to put it on) I was actually surprised that after sitting for at least 3 years I got it to fire without much effort. There is a fuel leak in the lines going from the pump to the injectors. That is the one thing that should get replaced on any of these motors. There were recalls issued (by BRP) for motors 2002 and newer. On my 2001 I will have to bite the bullet and replace the fuel lines on my own.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Probably 20-30 miles of trolling a day and 40-50 miles total.
Sounds like my typical day. Ten miles each way @ cruise, trolling @ 3 kts. I'd plan on 25-30 gallons a day.

JB

My son in law had a '97 Johnny FICHT 150. After the third powerhead failed he went to a carbed Johnny 150, which still runs like a sewing machine 10 years later.

I would not have a pre-2000 FICHT V6 if you paid me to haul it off.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

I am looking at a 20' Proline with a 150hp Evinrude four stroke, don't know the exact engine year. I've had a hard time finding info about these engines.

There was never an Evinrude 150hp 4-stroke.

What is the model number on the motor in question?

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

My son in law had a '97 Johnny FICHT 150. After the third powerhead failed he went to a carbed Johnny 150, which still runs like a sewing machine 10 years later.

I would not have a pre-2000 FICHT V6 if you paid me to haul it off.

I have never heard of a Fitch Johnson outboard...did they in fact make any???

did the fitch 90-115 motors have consistant problems.....or was did the Fitch bad label come from the V6 motors only?

bob

JB

OMC made FICHT engines with both Johnson and Evinrude labels.

It was the big V6s that earned them the terrible reputation. I don't think I have heard any horror stories about the V4 engines.

After purchasing the brands, Bombardier, then BRP completed the development of the V6 DFI systems and I understand that they are now quite reliable. The ETEC system is probably a development from the FICHT system.

My negative comment applies only to OMC-built JohnnyRude FICHT V6s that have not been completely updated to BRP specs.