water pump removal

rosser1

Petty Officer 1st Class
removing water pump for a 1979 mariner inline 6, with no manual. thought I would pick iboat's brains for what to do, and how to do it. 1, do I need to drain the lower unit or foot, and if so how to do that without a pump. 2, do i have to remove the foot and housing around lower motor. I have a idea of how and what to kinda do, just looking for pointers and tips and pretty much what not to do's!!
Thanks.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: water pump removal

Your Mariner is just a Merc of another color.

No surprises in servicing the water pump. Shift into Reverse, key OFF, lanyard pulled, drop the lower, service the pump, and put it back together.

Inspect the stainless cup and lower plate for wear lines that match the raised line around the hub of the impeller. Once the stainless parts have this circle worn into them then the seal to the new impeller is reduced and the low speed pump output is reduced. This is not a problem unless the motor is idled in gear for long periods of time, like fishing, trolling.

Complete water pump kits are cheap enough it is always better to use them instead of just replacing an impeller.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Rosser, You do not need to drain the gear oil. However, you should change the gear oil at least every year. You do not need a pump, but may use several squeeze bottles or a quart bottle with a tapered nozzle. Gearcase takes 25oz.

To drop the gearcase, remove the five 9/16 stainless nuts you can see. Now stick a thin walled 1/2" socket (3/8 or 1/4 drive), into the hole in the midsection, above the zinc anode(AKA trim tab), and remove the bolt that holds it on. At this point, someone may have changed it from a hex bolt to an allen bolt or 12 sided bolt.

Under the anode you will find one more hidden bolt. Remove it and wiggle the gearcase off. I set the motor to neutral before dropping the gearcase. it is easier to reinstall when in neutral.

You will need to turn the flywheel to line up the driveshaft splines, when you go to reinstall the gearcase.

It would be very wise to get some kind of service manual to assist you.

rosser1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys! I know i need a manual, but money is tight and $35 or $40 dollars is better spent on kids, than boat right now. Thanks for all the help!

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Search iBoats for the 'City of Hibbing' their on-line library includes the service manuals for most outboards.

You can get a pdf copy for free.

I'll bet that you can afford that!

Snowfish

Petty Officer 1st Class

city of hibbing? lots of fun facts and stuff but wheres the manual?:confused:
or is this another chase your tail and bump into yourself routine? Charlie Brown, you're such a clown.:D

crem1

Petty Officer 1st Class

The MERC Service Manual or the Seloc manual are good places to start. MERC from MERC and SELOC from the Internet

rosser1

Petty Officer 1st Class

well yeah you can check them out, but i don't live in MN. and online doesn't help, it will not open that title

Snowfish

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is this the one?

http://web.ebscohost.com/serrc/pdf?...f809-e8bc-4195-a624-369da05fc928@sessionmgr13

Seems to work, along with the other titles.

Here's the "door" to the library.

http://www.hibbing.mn.us/index.asp?Type=B_BASIC&SEC={8B2E6CEF-5E42-4BA4-AA26-31E0490E23F4}

I have this one book marked now! Cheers

ps. I Did Not need a library card or patron id. Just click and go. Nice!
(not sure why one showed as a link and the other as text. Both worked during testing with copy/paste into new browser window)

rosser1

Petty Officer 1st Class

well, replacement went well ! I am wondering what if I made the flaps on impeller go the wrong direction? What will happen? Didn't run motor today after installing new water pump, due to cold below freezing weather. Will have to wait til it warms up.

Really Old Guy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The fins will flex the right way, when you turn the motor on.
Not to worry

Last edited:

crem1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don't forget to apply a thin layer of multipurpose grease on the inside cover of the water pump