Purchase advice needed 5.7 2bbl Merc.

4seasrob

Recruit
Hello, I'm new to the site and was looking for some advice. I am looking to purchase a 1997 Sea Ray 215 Express Crusier. The boat has a 5.7 2bbl Merc. with a Alpha-1 drive. I have been reading the other posts about the 5.7 2bbl. I have two questions. Should I purchase a 1997 model with the flat tappets or try and get a newer boat 1998 with the roller lifters and maybe EFI.? I would like a little performance but don't want something that is a big gas hog. Since this is a 1997 model is the Alpha 1 drive the one with the improved gear set? How can I tell?

Thank you in advance for all replies.

Rob

John_S

Rear Admiral
Re: Purchase advice needed 5.7 2bbl Merc.

I wouldn't make a decision based on roller vs flat hyd cam. You would have to look up the engine serial number to find out. A '97 boat could easily have a '96 engine. My '97 boat had a '96 1/2 5.7L 2brl and had a flat based cam, but at some point, the '97 engine was changed to roller. No HP change.

A "true" '98 5.7L 2brl engine, should have vortec heads. Now that might be worth shopping for. From Merc specs, it has 40HP more at the prop, than the prior standard head version.

Welcome to iBoats.

havasuboatman

Ensign
Re: Purchase advice needed 5.7 2bbl Merc.

To answer your question about fuel economy, with the EFI you will get more power and better fuel economy.