where to go next starting issue

houla7033

Seaman Apprentice
1997 50 hp 2 stroke vro (disabled). Its got new plugs , getting spark and fuel , 150 compression in both cylinders turns over and over but will not fire off. Tried spraying mixture directly into carbs, nothing. Is there any vro alarm cutoff switch that may be keeping it fromn firing off, What do I do next.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: where to go next starting issue

Assuming that you are correct, that it has a hot spark and fuel is getting into the cylinders, I suspect timing.

Check that your flywheel has not sheared the key and gone too far out of time to fire the plugs at an acceptable time.

psteurer

Petty Officer 1st Class

You seem to have everything you need to get at least some type of start; spark, fuel, compression. I would verify that you have a good spark on all cylinders. If you are getting spark to the cylinders, there could be no open switch that would be open to prevent it from starting (like VRO or kill switch). Another simple thing to check is the strength of your battery. I understand the flywheel needs to rotate at about 300 rpms. A weak battery might result in what you are seeing but I tend to doubt it since you are getting some type of spark.

houla7033

Seaman Apprentice

Well I took each plug out and grounded them on the block and turned motor over and was getting good spark, the plugs are wet and smell like gasoline, The battery is fully charged spinng the flywheel fine. So I recken Ill check the timing but I would think it would at least give me a hiccup or something even with bad timing?

psteurer

Petty Officer 1st Class

You might want to test the strength of the spark with a spark tester. The spark should jump 1/4 with ease with each crank of the cylinder. If you get a good strong spark, I suppose the timing could be off and result in a no start.

To see if it is a fuel delivery issue, you could remove the sparkplugs, put about a tablespoon of fuel mix in each cylinder, replace the sparkplugs and then try to start it.

SparkieBoat

Captain

yep..get a spark gap tester from your auto parts store, about $10 and you will use it often. see if you get a spark at 7/16 gap this is optimum. the I agree with the timing issue, pull flywheel and look to see if your key is sheared, if you do not properly torque and clean your fly wheel connection it can cause key to shear, or if your flywheel nut becomes loose. if this happened replace flywheel nut as well. Harbor freight sells a flywheel puller tool for about $15 do not try top pry or beat your flywheel off.

Lone Duck

Master Chief Petty Officer

Are you 100% SURE it has good fuel ??

surrender

Petty Officer 1st Class

I adjusted the timing on mine and did not tighten the lock nut down good. Ran great then after a while it sputtered and stalled at idle. Could not restart. checked everything while anchored in the waterway. Finally noticed timing rod way out of wack. Nut backed off and timing was all messed up. readjusted to where I thought it was and it started right up. It was right in front of me the whole time.