Bad Steering cable?

Lrey

Recruit
Hello all, I Just bought a 1996 15 ft. Tidecraft boat with a 90 Force on it. Initially I noticed the steering was real tight and was difficult to turn. About the third time I took it out, as soon as I launched it it wouldnt turn left at all. After a few minutes, it wouldnt turn right at all either, its like it locked up somehow. The steering wheel would turn each way but only about half as much as it is supposed to.
I came to the conclusion that it was the rack and pinion steering system that was to blame, as it was locked up in the motor. I was able to disassemble it from the steering wheel but have had some difficulty removing it from the motor. When I try to pull it out, it gets caught up and when i try to force it out a tubing begins to come out with it and im unsure if it is supposed to or not. Also I do not know if there is even enough room to pull it all the way out, the boat gets in the way. Ill provide pictures to help me describe what's going on.

Here is where it gets stuck trying to pull it out:

018.jpg

if I try to force it, this tubing comes out as well:

021.jpg

I dont think it is supposed to come out?

and then if I was able to get it to slide out, I think id have to cut out some of the fiberglass to make room for it to come all the way out:

024.jpg

So in the end, my questions are, should it slide out smoothly? if so, how?

Should that tubing be coming out as well?

Should it come out without having to cut my boat?

Well, thanks for the help in advance!

fuzzeywiggler

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Bad Steering cable?

So in the end, my questions are, should it slide out smoothly? if so, how?

Should that tubing be coming out as well?

Should it come out without having to cut my boat?

Well, thanks for the help in advance!

NO nothing ever comes easy on a boat:D

The tube (not threaded piece) is the end of the steering cable so it has to come out with the rest of the cable.

Now of course you don't have to cut your boat, but it may be an option. Some manufactures do not leave enough room to remove the steering cable or install the steering cable with the Engine on! so it is put through as the engine is mounted.

The eaisest route may be to pull the mounting bolts (leave the rest of the connections on) raise the engine and shift to port remove the old cable and reinstall the new cable then re-mount the engine.

you could also cut the cable but will probably run into the same problem trying to install the new.

Good luck

Fuzzy

Lrey

Recruit

Hey! Thanks for the help and suggestions!

I do want to make something a bit clearer though.

Looking at this picture:
023.jpg

There is the red covering of the cable, then there is the steel pin, and then there is the metal tubing surrounding the pin. Now, that pin slides freely through that metal tube for an inch or 2 and then it hangs and when forced, it comes out with the pin. I know the pin needs to come out, but you are saying the metal tubing it hangs on is supposed to be removed as well?

thanks again!

fuzzeywiggler

Petty Officer 1st Class

I believe so.

But this picture should clear it up.

023steeringcabledraw.jpg

The tilt tube stays and the rest comes out.

Fuzzy

Lrey

Recruit

Perfect! I see now. I'll try removing it tomorrow, as well as get the new cable. Thanks for the help!

mikeredding

Cadet

Does your new cable come with the steering tube that is on the other side? The piece that you said separated from the cable.
I am in the same predicament but mine is froze into the tilt tube. It will probably be ruined by time I get it out.